Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
redtruck

Optic mount for pistol

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, redtruck said:

I'm looking at switching to open and I'm looking at different pistol options.  I already have a DVC 9mm, I saw this and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with one of these. 

http://www.egwguns.com/pistol-scope-mounts/vortex-razor-mount-for-bomar/

 

 

So you have a standard 9mm DVC? Putting a dot on only gets you part of the way there. Comp, barrel, preferably frame mounted optic so frame needs drilled, lightened slide maybe, resprung, etc. Just for starters. I’d probably either sell it to buy an Open gun or just by another gun outright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sarge said:

So you have a standard 9mm DVC? Putting a dot on only gets you part of the way there. Comp, barrel, preferably frame mounted optic so frame needs drilled, lightened slide maybe, resprung, etc. Just for starters. I’d probably either sell it to buy an Open gun or just by another gun outright.

Sorry I guess I didn't fully explain.  I want to switch to open for 3 gun but I don't need a full open pistol, I just want the optic for my old eyes.  An optic on my pistol would put me in open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case a dovetail Mount May be ok. Probably be better to mill slide for sight of choice though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not familiar with the dovetail mounts.  i'd either mill the slide or sell that and get an omni if you want to stay with the 2011 format.  or maybe a used steelmaster to do the full open (minor) experience.  or for well under $700 you can get a canik with a vortex on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still hoping to hear from someone who has had practical experience with this particular product.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the exact dovetail mount you posted, but I have dovetail mounts on a Gen 2 G17 and also on a CZ75.


They work.  Just be careful with torquing the screws, clean the threads of the mount and the screws and use the appropriate thread locker and screw length.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LuvDog said:

Not the exact dovetail mount you posted, but I have dovetail mounts on a Gen 2 G17 and also on a CZ75.


They work.  Just be careful with torquing the screws, clean the threads of the mount and the screws and use the appropriate thread locker and screw length.

 

 

Awesome thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used the egw mount on a glock to try out a red dot. Worked fine. Used it for a few months to see if that was the route I wanted to go. As mentioned above it is not optimal but it is a great way to try out a rds without making permanent mods to your pistol. The dot will be pretty high compared to a milled slide but it worked fine for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chip3 said:

Used the egw mount on a glock to try out a red dot. Worked fine. Used it for a few months to see if that was the route I wanted to go. As mentioned above it is not optimal but it is a great way to try out a rds without making permanent mods to your pistol. The dot will be pretty high compared to a milled slide but it worked fine for me.

More good info!  Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i use one of these plate mounts on my smith and wesson for 3 gun.  it just fits in the dovetail for the rear sight

 

seems to work perfectly for me. i mounted a venom ontop of it and have had no issues since then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i use one of these plate mounts on my smith and wesson for 3 gun.  it just fits in the dovetail for the rear sight

 

seems to work perfectly for me. i mounted a venom ontop of it and have had no issues since then

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t use this one but a gunsmith made one that was virtually identical. The height over bore is rather difficult to get used to. Not unlike a full open pistol but without the stability of the mount. I ended up having it milled. 

 

To me, try a carry optics gun and an open gun and see which has a dot that better fits your eye. Slide mounted optics are easier to find for 3 gun purposes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 8:54 AM, USCSBarney said:

Didn’t use this one but a gunsmith made one that was virtually identical. The height over bore is rather difficult to get used to. Not unlike a full open pistol but without the stability of the mount. I ended up having it milled. 

 

To me, try a carry optics gun and an open gun and see which has a dot that better fits your eye. Slide mounted optics are easier to find for 3 gun purposes. 

I ended up buying an X5, I like it so far.  Thank you for your input!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put one on a 9mm sti edge to play with. 

Works well, will take some time to get used to because of the height of the site. I put a Burris fast fire II on mine. Works ok, haven’t tried it in a match yet. 

Shoots and points fine though. Can’t really tell, from a weight or balance perspective that it is there. 

Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 6:15 AM, Bigsampson said:

I put one on a 9mm sti edge to play with. 

Works well, will take some time to get used to because of the height of the site. I put a Burris fast fire II on mine. Works ok, haven’t tried it in a match yet. 

Shoots and points fine though. Can’t really tell, from a weight or balance perspective that it is there. 

Good luck. 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...