Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lok Grips

DKnoch

Lok thin is thicker than extreme grips, but slightly thinner than henning. The "bogies" pattern had more traction than either.

Lok palm swell are about perfect in filling the palm of the hand and still allowing easy mag drops.  they feel thinner than PD palm swells.

Has anyone tried the LOK textures other than bogie?  Wondering how the traction is on their checkered / rough grips compare to full aluminum ones like Henning or Unica.

Fully agree on the LOK thins vs Henning checkered.  Those bogies really give you something to grip!  I've got to give those LOK palm swells a try though.

I ran the thin Bogies for a year, then switched to the palm swells at the end of last year.  Hands-down a game changer in terms of getting a more solid support hand grip, wish I would have had those from the beginning instead of fighting with an inefficient grip for years.  I actually ordered sets in all 3 textures and tried them out, and settled on the checkered (used to be called full checker), texture.  With the extra area available I found the Bogies to be too aggressive for no additional benefit.  After a practice session I'd practically have a bloody palm with those since I was gripping so much tighter than I could with the thin grips.

I have a set of LOK thin bogies on the way to me now, can't wait to check them out on my stock III.

I noticed they ship with CZ screws and O-rings---do those work with a Tanfoglio?  I've never seen that CZ screws are the same thread pattern.  Also, I tried O-rings on my Xtreme grips but because the cutout is open at the rear the ring just gets bulged out and over and can't be used.  

The O-rings work fine with the LOK grips, and the CZ screws work fine with the Tanfo.  The grip screw holes must be threaded the same on both guns.

The O-rings may help keep the screw set in there instead of using lok-tite.  I haven't needed to use lok-tite yet on mine whereas I did when using the standard screws into the Henning/Unica/Scales.

Thanks for the answers.  Has anyone seen the need for the lightweight Lok grips for weight in production?  I'm leaning towards the orange/black palm swell bogies I think.  I don't think I'd like grips any slimmer than my Henning's.  PD Palm swells work but are more thick than I prefer

On 2/15/2019 at 8:08 PM, jaysrgu said:

the palm swells feel great but can make hitting the mag button fast hard to do ,hard to roll the gun in the hand with the palm swells,i run the thins with bogie texture and love them!

Reload can be an issue with it, the full checkered  is similar to Henning for less money. 

2 hours ago, tdp88 said:

The LOK checkered grips feel really aggressive. I think they stick in my hand a lot better than the bogies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, I already ordered bogies and they should be here tomorrow.  I thought they'd be more aggressive because they look like the "golfball" texture that is really aggressive in VZ grips, like the back half of their Operator IIs.

EDIT:  Now that I go back to the site and look.....yeah, the circles are more "full" than what VZ does so there won't be the same sharp edges.

Edited by FALAR

On 2/15/2019 at 10:08 PM, jaysrgu said:

the palm swells feel great but can make hitting the mag button fast hard to do ,hard to roll the gun in the hand with the palm swells,

If you decide to cut a clearance channel for your thumb with a dremel, be aware that it is a good idea to wear a dust mask. 

Damn, I already ordered bogies and they should be here tomorrow.  I thought they'd be more aggressive because they look like the "golfball" texture that is really aggressive in VZ grips, like the back half of their Operator IIs.

EDIT:  Now that I go back to the site and look.....yeah, the circles are more "full" than what VZ does so there won't be the same sharp edges.

The bogies are also really aggressive, but the checkered seem to stick to my hand better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Or just practice a bit more so it does not make any difference. All options are good I think. 

Well, not necessarily, if you're having a hard time rolling the gun in your hand due to having aggressive palms swell grips as he stated, then it might be an actual "better" setup.  I flipped the gun effectively for a couple years, and then after the new rules allowed me to install the extended mag release at the same time I switched to the palm swell grips, I'll never go back, even though I COULD make it work the other way.  For me it's definitely better, faster and less likely to fumble with the extended release.  The only downside I've found is you have to be really careful on table starts to make sure you don't push down on the gun and trip the mag release.  Also for a couple other people I know, they had issues accidentally pressing it while shooting due to where their grip puts their support hand, but that has been no issue for me at all.

1 hour ago, Tanfastic said:

Well, not necessarily, if you're having a hard time rolling the gun in your hand due to having aggressive palms swell grips as he stated, then it might be an actual "better" setup.  I flipped the gun effectively for a couple years, and then after the new rules allowed me to install the extended mag release at the same time I switched to the palm swell grips, I'll never go back, even though I COULD make it work the other way.  For me it's definitely better, faster and less likely to fumble with the extended release.  The only downside I've found is you have to be really careful on table starts to make sure you don't push down on the gun and trip the mag release.  Also for a couple other people I know, they had issues accidentally pressing it while shooting due to where their grip puts their support hand, but that has been no issue for me at all.

That all makes sense, likely there is no best answer for every gun and every hand.

I went away from the buttons and etc after watching Max Michell do a draw and reload demonstration at an NRA annual a couple or five years ago. His thing at that time was that he'd rather shift the gun than maybe accidentally bump the release, seems to work best for me but I have larger than average sized hands. 

The bogies are more than aggressive enough for me.

The o-rings worked a bit better than with the Xtreme grips as the screw head is more shrouded.  The still bulge out a bit at the rear where they are not though, but not so bad I'll remove them like with the Xtreme grips.