Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running all 170’s

Bigbrowngmc

Weight...reloading...weight....reliability...weight...reloading.

you need enough mags to feel comfortable should you drop one or even two during a stage, and still complete it. Generally reloads at easier and more consistent and faster with a 140 or 150.  And if you want an extra mag to finish 2-5 rounds on a stage you don’t want to reload a 30 round mag to do it.

theres no issue doing it if your capable but it’s easier to be more consistent reloading  with a shorter, lighter mag.  

Theres generally just no reason to do it so why carry, clean, load, and reload a bigger mag than is necessary.

I run all 170's … if you need less ..  just download... but if you need more than a 140 will hold, guess what ? .. I find it easier to grab a 170 versus a 140 when on the clock because of the extra length.. weight difference between a 140 & 170 loaded the same is hardly a game breaker ..  I agree with the statement someone posted above  --simplicity and consistency

What are everyones thoughts on running all 170mm mags? Pros? Cons? Being new to open, my thought is if 170 is the max, why not run all the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my buddy did it for a season. lots of extra unnecessary weight and it's only advantageous here and there unless all stages are under 32 rounds. 140s are easy to carry and reload. There's ALWAYS somewhere to reload in a stage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have 2 140 and 2 170.  Usually  use a 170 and 140 for a 32 round stage. I used to have a 155 but never used it. Never ran into a situation where I needed the 2 extra rounds over the 140. 

As for classifiers and mag changes. I like the 170 better. It sticks out of the gun a little more over the 140.  

I dont see a reason why all 170 wouldn't work but anything over 2 170 really isn't necessary.  Only negative would be the extra $ over a 140. 

I run all 170s.  I switched because I did not like having to start with a 140 and then load to a big stick as it felt different.  So I  started practicing big stick reloads and found that my times are faster so now I run all big sticks.  The extra weight argument is dumb, just load the 2nd stick to what you need. 

Having a bunch of 170’s flopping around on your belt just plain sucks. Depending on the stage, I will sometimes start out with a 140 and reload to a 170 which I keep in the number 1 spot on my mag holders. This is more rare though as I normally start with a 170.   

Edited by alanm

5 hours ago, B_Seehawer said:

I started out with that same thought but quickly abandoned that. 140’s are just plain easier to load quicker.

Try it yourself.

If you can reload with a 170 as quickly and consistently as with a 140 or 155,

go for all 170's (if you don't mind them flopping around on your belt).

Many of us find it's slower to reload a 170 than a 140, so I start with a 170 

and reload with one of the 140's on my belt    :) 

2 hours ago, Stymie12000 said:

I have 2 140 and 2 170.  Usually  use a 170 and 140 for a 32 round stage

This is the combination I run. Specifically, for a 32 round stage I start with the 170 and found after 16-20 rounds the extra weight aids in dropping the mag for reload. But as others have said, practice with a particular combination and get good at it. Good luck.

Coming from limited i was use to reloading 140's so i stuck with them on the belt in open. I have 170's to use on the start . Also will use a 155 at times  .  I shot a outlaw steel match with 60 + round stages and running with 4 loaded 170's on the belt was terrible , i can't see doing that in regular matches with 32 round stages . But it's what you practice with as other have said that will make the difference in the end .

I use one 170 and two 155s.  I'll start with the 170 if I'm sure I can make it through the stage with it.  Otherwise I'll start with a 155 and reload with one.  I also have two 20 round mags that I'll use for Classifiers with a mandatory mag charge, or I have to drop in dust or mud, or if the stage plan calls for a reload after only two shots.

Hello: I know quite a few people who run just 170's. I also know some that use all 140's with different base pads to give them up to 27 rounds. There is always a place to reload on the move so choose your magazine setups for the stage you are running. Thanks, Eric

On 2/15/2019 at 8:31 AM, Rnlinebacker said:

my buddy did it for a season. lots of extra unnecessary weight and it's only advantageous here and there unless all stages are under 32 rounds. 140s are easy to carry and reload. There's ALWAYS somewhere to reload in a stage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Part of that was because I had a lot of reliability issues with the 140mm caspian mags - compared to the MBX 170mm's that just worked. I've worked on tuning the 140mms to fix the issues so I can start running them.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like I get my hands to the longer mags sooner and I get them in the gun sooner. 

155's seem faster to reload than 140's. 

That would make me think the same is true for the 170's. 

Edited by B_RAD

I only use STI Gen 2 9/38 140s for classifiers with a mandatory mag change, or when dropping in dust or mud.  Otherwise it is MBX 155s and 170s.  If I'm going to reload with a 170, it goes in the front pouch and I have no issue with it.

Regarding 140s and 155s.  I shoot 140s for 40sw and 155 for 9mm major.  I honestly cannot tell a difference.  It's all subconscious.  I really never think about it.  It just happens.

Edited by zzt