Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SBR Mp5 Clone

Am I dumb of thinking/wanting to use my SBR'd Mp5 clone for PCC? I know a few of the people on the HK shooting team do...

What do you guys think?

I would put on a different stock than the a2 I have at least.

And need to add a rail adapter and red dot...

Even the extended mag release looks nice....

What do you guys say? Or is this a dumb idea..

Obviously some downsides with mag capacity..

And reloading an mp5 isnt the easiest 😅 nor is the trigger great...but its a smooth roller lock 😉

Any input or must haves if I modify my clone?

Or should I just build/buy something else? Like a Taccom ulw upper for a 9mm pcc lower.

Short answer is no you are not dumb.  Slightly longer answer is that you seem to have a PCC that you like and USPSA has a division to shoot it in.  Before you sink money into a new PCC find out if you like the division by shooting what you have.  I'd put a dot on it and that is probably about it.  Not everybody loves PCC.  I've seen a number move back to shooting handguns.  You can find out if you like it with your MP5 clone pretty much as well as if you were shooting a Limcat Tron. If it is something you like then you can go down the rabbit hole of what is the best PCC for you.  Enjoy!!

1 hour ago, Neomet said:

Short answer is no you are not dumb.  Slightly longer answer is that you seem to have a PCC that you like and USPSA has a division to shoot it in.  Before you sink money into a new PCC find out if you like the division by shooting what you have.  I'd put a dot on it and that is probably about it.  Not everybody loves PCC.  I've seen a number move back to shooting handguns.  You can find out if you like it with your MP5 clone pretty much as well as if you were shooting a Limcat Tron. If it is something you like then you can go down the rabbit hole of what is the best PCC for you.  Enjoy!!

I am not sure what rail adapter I need to run the red dot.

I can't vouch for if it will fit your clone or it's quality but here is at least someplace to start.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Low-Profile-Red-Dot-Sight-Mount-for-HK-MP5-Rifles-p/10266.htm

If not and you are good with your irons shoot those.  We had a guy on our squad at a a major PCC match shooting irons who put almost all of us in the match to shame.

to shame.  

34 minutes ago, Neomet said:

I can't vouch for if it will fit your clone or it's quality but here is at least someplace to start.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Low-Profile-Red-Dot-Sight-Mount-for-HK-MP5-Rifles-p/10266.htm

If not and you are good with your irons shoot those.  We had a guy on our squad at a a major PCC match shooting irons who put almost all of us in the match to shame.

to shame.  

I should just go run irons first. Thats a pro of the mp5 style sights 😅

I ran my hk94 for a while in pcc. I had a B&T style rail adapter that clamps to the top of the receiver with a cmore on it. That plus a psg1 type trigger pack I had in the HK parts box and a choat stock with a 3d printed cheek piece seemed to work pretty well.

For a lower scope mount (should work with normal stock height) you might look at:

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-MP5-MP5K-Low-Profile-Mount-RMR-p18234.htm

It replaces the rear sight drum.

The triggers aren't good unless you happen to have to have a Psg1 pack hanging around in your parts box like I did.  You might consider getting one from HK Parts that Bill Springfield has tune.

The mag changes do take some practice (particularly since my gun has a button mag release instead of a paddle) and I never got around to designing a magwell for it but they aren't impossible. I have some of the short mags  ( I think they are 15 rounds) I need to try one of these day to see if that makes the reload better.

All in all if you are comfortable running one there's no reason you can't be competitive with it.

Edited by caspian guy

Eh, shoot it and see if you like it. 

Then see if you're ok with being much, much slower at classifiers. If not, the MPX is the next natural step. It's 80% of the roller lock smoothness with the ability to load on a closed bolt, much better (aftermarket AR) trigger, more custom choices, etc.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:24 PM, mrvip27 said:

Am I dumb of thinking/wanting to use my SBR'd Mp5 clone for PCC? I know a few of the people on the HK shooting team do...

What do you guys think?

If you already have it go for it. HKparts has all the do dads you may want to add. Keep the A2 stock on it. The collapsible and folders looks cooler but the A2 is the best for actually shooting. You can reload on a closed bolt with a few rounds down loaded and some practice with good steel german mags. 

44 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

If you already have it go for it. HKparts has all the do dads you may want to add. Keep the A2 stock on it. The collapsible and folders looks cooler but the A2 is the best for actually shooting. You can reload on a closed bolt with a few rounds down loaded and some practice with good steel german mags. 

I was looking at putting the ar buffer tube adapter on it to add a b5 bravo stock. Seems to raise more inline with the recoil and what not.

12 hours ago, troupe said:

How soft is the MP-5 over the AR and MPX. It has been a very long time since I shot a MP-5 and back then, PCC was never thought of. 

For me I'd say the MP5 is a lot softer/smoother than a normal blowback AR.  I never bothered to shoot mine back to back with a really well tuned blowback AR (JP or something like that) or an MPX, so not much help there.

If I think about it maybe after a match I'll see what I can borrow.

Edited by caspian guy
16 hours ago, troupe said:

How soft is the MP-5 over the AR and MPX. It has been a very long time since I shot a MP-5 and back then, PCC was never thought of. 

I have extensive experience with/own all 3

MP5>MPX>Guard>blowback9

The MP5 is the softest and if you have one already, great. That said, the MPX is king IMO. It's what I decided on and this was after owning a Zenith mp5 clone, building a few 9mm blowbacks w/ various buffer setups, AND building a Guard for my wife.

The recoil is slightly harsher on the MPX, but the impulse feels faster to me. The modularity, parts support, tunability, etc. are all far, far superior for the MPX (and AR9) platform to the MP5. Both the roller lock and piston (MPX) are leagues softer than even the most highly tuned AR9's including JP's. 

20 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

I was looking at putting the ar buffer tube adapter on it to add a b5 bravo stock. Seems to raise more inline with the recoil and what not.

That will work. I have an AR adapter one too. This can also help get your cheek a little higher as all the HK stocks are meant to keep your head at iron sight height. Just don't let a real HK enthusist see you with an AR back end on the gun or be prepared to be scowled at

• 4 weeks later...

I just sold a GMR-13 to buy a PTR 9ct MP5 clone.  I have a couple of AR-15 SBRs, including a QC10 9mm but the MP5 is an iconic gun that begs to be shot in PCC matches.  

An MP5 has some disadvantages but like shooting single stack that is part of the fun.  I’m shooting the PTR in non USPSA PCC matches now and when my Form 1 comes back I’ll shoot it in USPSA matches.  

Doug

9 hours ago, Doug H. said:

I just sold a GMR-13 to buy a PTR 9ct MP5 clone.  I have a couple of AR-15 SBRs, including a QC10 9mm but the MP5 is an iconic gun that begs to be shot in PCC matches.  

An MP5 has some disadvantages but like shooting single stack that is part of the fun.  I’m shooting the PTR in non USPSA PCC matches now and when my Form 1 comes back I’ll shoot it in USPSA matches.  

Doug

Cool, let us know what you think of the ptr, I have one of their 308s but haven't had a chance to handle one of their mp5 clones.

11 hours ago, caspian guy said:

Cool, let us know what you think of the ptr, I have one of their 308s but haven't had a chance to handle one of their mp5 clones.

I'm not Doug, obviously, but I've been very pleased with the PTR 9 we have as a post sample for rent at the range. Tens of thousands of rounds and it just chugs along great. No parts coming loose or breaking, accuracy is still good, and the trigger has finally smoothed out!

I detail stripped it the other day for cleaning and swapped in a new extractor spring out of an abundance of caution.

Our MPX eats through extractor springs like they're going out of style. Ate disconnector springs on the trigger as well until I swapped out the milspec arrangement.

2 hours ago, WhiteDingo said:

I'm not Doug, obviously, but I've been very pleased with the PTR 9 we have as a post sample for rent at the range. Tens of thousands of rounds and it just chugs along great. No parts coming loose or breaking, accuracy is still good, and the trigger has finally smoothed out!

I detail stripped it the other day for cleaning and swapped in a new extractor spring out of an abundance of caution.

Our MPX eats through extractor springs like they're going out of style. Ate disconnector springs on the trigger as well until I swapped out the milspec arrangement.

Cool i guess that's what I'd have expected.. the 308 ptr I have has been a good gun.

Yea hks rifles aren't notorious for wonderful triggers are they?

I keep hoping with more clones on the market someone will offer a better after market trigger for them.  It's not as if it can't be done, I have a PSG1 trigger pack I picked up that I use in my PTR and my Hk94 which is really good. Shame no one reproduces those.

10 hours ago, caspian guy said:

Cool i guess that's what I'd have expected.. the 308 ptr I have has been a good gun.

Yea hks rifles aren't notorious for wonderful triggers are they?

I keep hoping with more clones on the market someone will offer a better after market trigger for them.  It's not as if it can't be done, I have a PSG1 trigger pack I picked up that I use in my PTR and my Hk94 which is really good. Shame no one reproduces those.

Yeah, the triggers aren't great. The standard groups can be cleaned up and made better to an extent, but the PSG is just a whole different animal.

The Franklin binary offering isn't any worse than the HK/factory group, but also isn't any better in semi, which is a shame.