Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 tilting 9mm Cases again

58 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Put an Xtreme Medium hammer spring in it.

7lb double action that eats everything made. Including CCI Magnum primers.

I like the 15.5 PD that gives me 6 DA and 2.5 SA. 

BTW, fixed the WSP feed by polishing the shuttle/plunger and adding more weight to the follower rod. I only had a 45 case on the rod,which worked fine for the Federals. Just quickly ran 300 rounds of WSP without one problem. It’s the simple things in life.

Also bought a 3 pounds of Sport Pistol and comparing it to Titegroup. So far no difference (at same PF 130 ACME 147 FP) in recoil or accuracy and after 200 rounds I’m not sure it’s any cleaner. I’ll run a few hundred more and see if it’s cleaner if not for the price difference and ability to obtain I’ll probably stick with TG. Also no difference in smoke, but the SP does smell different.

What a great hobby.

13 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Don’t spend any time behind a 1050 then. Or your 650 will feel like a toy. A toy, with a very heavy handle.

Damn dude. I take it back. Sell your rehab’d 650 when you get it back and buy a used 1050. You’ll be in love with every spent on the upgrade.

Thinking about it, going to keep my eye out for one.

gerritm

I have had a very similar problem with my 650 for a while.  The case seems to go into the shellplate at stn 1, but 1 in xx would then have the trailing edge of the case hit the sizing die and the only way to procedd was to give it a little nudge into the die.  

The fix was to rtfm and follwo the process to tighten the die (with a case in the shellplate) as per the manual.  Honestly, I've had this machine for 5 years, and somehow I totally missed that any time I've read the manual.  Even bought a 1050 recently and didn't register that when I've read that manual.

Once I did it according to the manual, I haven't had a case not feed correctly, going on a couple of thousand now on the 650.  I'm probably somewhere in the same round count as you (25 - 30K at least) and I have veru little wear on the machine.

I want to say this was one of many things I tried when it first started. The case is tilting way before it ever enters the die & quite a bit, but not all do it. Many go in perfectly strait, some catch on the edge of the die.

Should have taken some pictures. Too late left today for Dillon.

gerritm

When this happens to me anymore (after the fixes I posted earlier) I can see the case work it's way slightly out of position as the insert slide moves away from the case. A solid mounting surface is necessary, and clean the face of the insert slide of any lube residue.

jj

On 2/18/2019 at 7:37 AM, gerritm said:

Installed the new platform kit with a new alignment tool. After talking to Dillon tech they said it will almost never center perfectly and may rub slightly when correctly aligned. Got it to this point and put everything back together.

Unit is functioning OK, but randomly the cases still tilt going into the first die. May do 5 or 6 sometimes 10 and several will tilt or you can feel them catch as they go into the Lee die. Tried adjusting the die up & down to see if it matters and it didn't seem to change anything. Primers are seating fine, everything else is good.

Pretty much have replaced all of the user type parts.

Something has changed, worn out, or bent or I am missing something. This 650 worked perfect for 20K rounds or so. Going to call Dillon and send it back to see if they can figure it out.

gerritm

I suggest you get a set of Dillon's carbide dies. They have a greater radius to allow the cases to align.

Dick

I have had the same station 1 feed problems on my 650....what a major pain in the ass it is!!

I'm using an EGW U-die which compounds the problem because of the design of the die face.

My “solutions”....make sure the down rod that effects the block is exactly adjusted. Make sure your shellplate is “Perfectly “ adjusted..this is crucial on my machine. When setting up your depriming die have the shellplate full and an empty case in the die!!!.....this will help center the die to a small degree.

Thats the best I’ve figured out...the shellplate adjustment is the key for me....I hate to take it off for cleaning and start all over....lol.

Any other solutions are greatly welcomed!!!

For me this all started again by taking off the shellplate to clean & lube. I have tried all of the above solutions at one time or another. Then will get it working at about 90% & be happy for awhile. 

My basic premise is the case should not tilt that far back when it moves up. No amount of alignment of the shellplate or die is going to cure this. Something is causing the case to tilt, something is off. Should move straight up into the die. Then I could see if the die alignment was off.

The machine was never like this for the first 20K rounds or so. Something has changed. It kind of all started when I got a deal on some S&B primers, my 650 did not like them. Caused all kinds of issues until I went back to CCI & WSP primers. It got better but never completely right.

Maybe Dillon can figure it out, it got there yesterday.

gerritm