Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blazer brass okay for 9 major?

Adrenaline

So with sorting I have accumulate thousands of CBC, GFL, PMC, S&B, and some of that Browning stuff..wanna say probably not a great idea to load the Browning 9mm brass to major because that deer head logo is cut into the case head? How about the other brands named. None of it is stepped..threw all that stuff out.

So I just reloaded some 9 major and used blazer for 10 rounds and for some reason this is the only brass that I'm getting set back with when I chamber a round. I have my case mouth flare set super shallow with win and FC brass so it barely flares and I notice it flares the mouth more on blazer. But after the crimp it is about .001 larger at the mouth, putting me right about .3770. Just like any other brass I use but blazer sets back almost .004 which is unacceptable. Why is this you think?

4 minutes ago, Adrenaline said:

So I just reloaded some 9 major and used blazer for 10 rounds and for some reason this is the only brass that I'm getting set back with when I chamber a round. I have my case mouth flare set super shallow with win and FC brass so it barely flares and I notice it flares the mouth more on blazer. But after the crimp it is about .001 larger at the mouth, putting me right about .3770. Just like any other brass I use but blazer sets back almost .004 which is unacceptable. Why is this you think?

Thinner case walls. Did you get a Udie? Is it kissing shell plate? 

Piece of paper is usually about .004 , probably not enough to matter.

FWIW I load anything that I pick up at the range and watch for stepped brass as I'm loading.

Only case I've ever had a problem with is a stepped case.

I pick up my brass at practice and reload it.  At matches it goes on the ground.

The stage I'm helping tear down at the end of the match I'll pick up brass and it gets tumbled and thrown in the bucket to reload.

The only 9 brass I've ever sorted is for a 929 revolver, the moon clips I've got fit Win brass best and that's the only reason I sort.

All the rest of my brass comes from the brass bin at the range.

47 minutes ago, Adrenaline said:

Did not get udie. Is that why? And my dillon die is backed off just a c hair from the shellplate. Like barely enough to fit a piece of paper between.

A u die will undersize the case diameter which will create greater neck tension below the bell and crimp.  It’ll basically ensure the rounds feed and you don’t have setback because the case is narrower below the bell/seated bullet.  

Like i I said it’s a must for 9mm in my opinion regardless of brass or roll sizing. 

Roll sizing removes bulges but primarily fixes the case rim which is the area that gets most screwed up from firing and the extractor/ejector.

1 hour ago, Adrenaline said:

Did not get udie. Is that why? And my dillon die is backed off just a c hair from the shellplate. Like barely enough to fit a piece of paper between.

EGW or LEE Udie will size about .001 tighter and has cured all setback issues for me

21 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

Why did you back off the die "just a hair"? Is that what the Dillon die instructions tell you to do?

44 minutes ago, Adrenaline said:

No it's something I learned from someone who has loaded for years on a dillon and has shot uspsa for 20+ yrs. Pretty sure he'd know. Its po probably less than .003 gap

Why don't you at least try something somebody has only been loading for 10 years on a Dillon and let the sizer just kiss the shell plate enough to make it wobble slightly. The lower the better in my experience.

When I process 9 mm brass, I put the lee  U die in station 1 and a hornady die in station 3 and run all brass thru that, then clean and then load with no lube, the car polish in my cleaner gives it just enough to aid in loading.

I still run the U die just in case I miss one along the way.

2 hours ago, Adrenaline said:

No it's something I learned from someone who has loaded for years on a dillon and has shot uspsa for 20+ yrs. Pretty sure he'd know. Its po probably less than .003 gap

I've learned that just because someone has been doing something for a long time doesn't mean they've been doing it right.

Untitled.png

Edited by 4n2t0

On 2/13/2019 at 7:06 PM, Adrenaline said:

I have a ton of brass and I seperate for consistency. Is blazer brass okay to use, I have a lot? And aside from stepped cases, I should be able to use almost any 9mm case that is brass correct?

Yeap, one of CCI's.  Good to go.

• 2 weeks later...