Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blazer brass okay for 9 major?

Adrenaline

I use any brass that isn't stepped for 9 major.

Was separating my brass when I was messing with a 929 revolver, wound up using Win for the 929.

So had about 2000 Blazer brass that is now being used w/o problem in my bedell open gun and the one I built out of spare parts.

Both run it fine

1 hour ago, Adrenaline said:

aside from stepped cases, I should be able to use almost any 9mm case that is brass, correct?

If you don't use a Dillon 1050, you'll also have a great amount of difficulty

with crimped primers.

Anything crimped, or stepped, I keep separate.    :) 

10 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I use any brass that isn't stepped for 9 major.

Was separating my brass when I was messing with a 929 revolver, wound up using Win for the 929.

So had about 2000 Blazer brass that is now being used w/o problem in my bedell open gun and the one I built out of spare parts.

Both run it fine

In found Blazer the best for our 929’s.  WIN was too tight for DAA moons and got some light strikes. Odd

Just now, 4n2t0 said:

I've never used a Udie and everything works.

Depends on bullet and brass. Montana Gold and Precision Delta will both set back in Blazer and FC brass for me if I use anything but a Udie. 

Switched it out recently and don’t remember why. Loading with Dillon sizer. Had feeding issues with a mag and pushe a PD JHP all the way into a case when hit feed ramp 2-3 times. Doesn’t happen with Udie.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

Load 10.x gr of Major Pistol Powder under a 115 and you won't get any setback.

Sorry off topic but I’ve been considering major pistol a try but don’t want to go to 124’s, can you compress this load very well or what’s the min oal you could get with 115 would you guess?

d, I don't know what the minimum OAL would be.  I can tell you that 10.3gr under a 115 HAP at 1.161" OAL is not compressed at all.  I can also tell you that it is a very fine powder, finer than any I've seen.  If you take the charged case out of the press and tap the base on the table, the powder is lower (by a little) in the case than when it was dropped.  

I buy fully processed brass that has been push through sized.  I resize again with my Hornady sizing die, which does do some additional sizing, so case capacity is reduced.  10.3 sits a little more than 1/8" below the rim when dropped.  To give you a comparison, 9.4gr 3N38 will not fit into the case when poured.  You have to pour some in, tamp, repeat, repeat.

If you tell me what OAL you are shooting for, I'll waste a round and see how low I can go.

Blazer is one of the main brands i use for 9 major. Blazer, win, and FC are the 3 I mostly stick with. Also RP, then some pmc,  and Speer. But my indoor range sells blazer so that’s usually the bulk of what I pick up. It’s good stuff. Never had a problem. 

Edited by Jfitz427

Sort a few thousand rounds by hand and by headstamp and it’ll become clear that Blazer, PMC, FC,  RP, Speer, and Win stamps feel significantly better quality than anything else (of major brands, star, hornady , etc are good but seldom) basically any NATO provider headstamp is solid not that you want their crimped stuff

21 hours ago, zzt said:

I've noticed there is a lot more variability in 9mm brass than there is in 40 or 45.  

I’ve noticed the same thing. Never really thought about it until now. But my oals are much more consistent with my 40 loads. Even with a combo seater and crimper my 40 loads will all come in around say 1.180 +- .002. I just started loading 9 again after a few months off and had to ditch my powder check to seat and crimp separate because my oals were all over the place. Even with doing those in different steps at best my oal was +-.005. So some would come in a 1.165, others 1.170. Then I’d still randomly get one with big variances at like  1.157, 1.179. 

I do keep all my nato stuff and size and decap then swage primer pocket by hand.

As for setback..that's interesting. I've never had an issue with setback at all not even .001 in after hand cycling 10 times or more. I am using dillon dies, my sizing die I do not touch the shell plate, it is backed off enough where a 3x5 card will fit in between the die and shell plate snugly. Neck tension is outstanding.

I've loaded 9 major in aluminum cases, just for giggles, no cracks, no fuss, but I didn't try loading them over and over again.

Interesting.

I’d imagine that the Alu will work harden quick and crack on the next loading or so.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk