Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA 2-in-1 Seating and Crimping Die

mvmojo

Just ordered a Mr Bullet Feeder for my 1050 and since the DAA 2-in-1 Seating and Crimping Die was only $21.95, decided to order it too.  Haven't rec'd either yet but wanted to ask this august group if the 2-in-1 die will be of any value.  I only load 9mm minor on this press and don't have a powder check system - read that with such a low powder volume, the powder check can be finicky.  But, I would like to be able to see that powder has dropped and also not double dropped before seating a bullet, probably via some sort of video camera system.  Not quite sure how all this is going to work but would appreciate any experience or suggestions on how to set it up.

Thanks for the input.  I may give it a try.  The Bullet Feeder works great but I don't like not being able to see the power drop in the case before setting the bullet.  If I use the 2-in-1 die that would solve that problem.  In over 100,000 rounds loaded on Dillon presses I've never had a failure of the powder to drop from a Dillon powder funnel so my paranoia may be much ado about nothing!

5 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

Thanks for the input.  I may give it a try.  The Bullet Feeder works great but I don't like not being able to see the power drop in the case before setting the bullet.  If I use the 2-in-1 die that would solve that problem.  In over 100,000 rounds loaded on Dillon presses I've never had a failure of the powder to drop from a Dillon powder funnel so my paranoia may be much ado about nothing!

Never, never, never trust a powder drop without eyeballing it, or have some other means to check. Be paranoid. 

55 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

Paranoia warranted avoid the “S” word at all cost

If it turns out you don’t like seating and crimping all in one, a WiFi endoscope looking into the case as it exits the powder  measure station is the most common way to verify charge has been dropped.  

I original ordered the wired version but couldn’t get it to connect to an old kindle fire I had laying around and returned it for the WiFi version I simply connect to my phone now.  Several threads on how some guys are using the wired endoscope connected to a simple vehicle back up monitor on here as well.

Definitely gonna look at the endoscope idea.  I've got one lying around that doesn't have particularly good resolution but should be adequate as a go/no-go for powder charge.  Will look at trying to rig it up today.  Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 7/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, Boomstick303 said:

I know this topic is old, but is anyone loading .223 and using the camera method to see the powder drop?

Ask yourself this, why are you crimping 223? Never a need IMO. Powder check away.....

Edited by DJRyan13