Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting the Vortex Venom to the CZ Shadow 2 optic ready adaptor plate....not without its issues

MsDV8

I recently obtained my Shadow 2 Optic Ready.  I had already purchased 2 Vortex Venom RDS months ago in anticipation for taking possession of the Shadow 2 OR as well as the P10F OR when it’s available in Canada.  

When I received the Shadow,  I went about removing the rear sight plate, not a problem; installing the CZ Vortex Venom adapter plate to the Shadow, not a problem; installing the Vortex Venom to the adapter plate; big problem.  The included hardware sunk into the foam, meant to secure the red dot to the adapter plate, did not fit the adapter plate.  Try as I might, the bolts would not grab hold.  Eventually I pulled out the calipers and started measuring and discovered that the bolts were about 1mm larger than the contact points of the adapter plate and in the right light, I noticed the wear on the ends of the bolts where they were wearing themselves on the surface of the adapter plate.

As I had already been playing with the RDS, the box and contents it had contained were thoroughly rummaged in.  I decided to open the brand new Venom box to see if the bolts included in there were a different size and that’s when I noticed the baggie labeled GLOCK MOS containing two additional bolts.  These fit.  So what I had done was stash that baggie under the foam in the original box because I don’t own Glock products (never will) so I figured the baggie with the bolts was of no use, glad I didn’t toss it though.  Anyways, I’ve gotten a number of people watching my video on the Shadow 2 optic ready on Youtube, asking me about mounting the Vortex Venom as they are running into the same problem.  Not all Vortex Venoms, be it 6MOA or 3MOA are shipping with that GLOCK MOS package of bolts, and you NEED those.

I had contacted my retailer of the optic plate and they suggested the problem is with the Venom. The problem is not with the Venom.  I think CZ didn’t tap the holes big enough to use the mounting hardware that Vortex provides with all their Vortex Venoms, that being the larger bolts stuck in the foam.

If you’re running into problems, you may need to contact Vortex for the smaller bolts.  I was at the point where I was going to either tap a larger opening into the adapter plate or reduce the size of the bolts in the foam, fortunately I didn’t have a tap/die set that would work for this and spent the time hunting for what was missing in the install.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Edited by MsDV8

For Canadian shooters, Vortex replied to my email in regards to this and if any hardware is required not included in your kit for mounting the Venom, ie. GLOCK MOS sized bolts, I refer you to:

Darryl Wilson

Vortex Canada

45 Airpark Place, Suite 5,  Guelph, ON   N1L 1B2

1-866-343-0054

service@vortexcanada.net

vortexcanada.net

5 hours ago, Matt1 said:

TLDR

Had to use different screws to fit scope. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not everyone has those different screws and are asking me for information.  Sharing what I can to assist.  If you find it so tiresome and doesn’t impact you, SYFUGDNWTSDSAH.  Thanks.

I'm the one who commented on the YouTube page about getting my Shadow 1 slide milled by CZ Custom for a direct mount of a Venom, hoping that I wouldn't have this problem.

I ran into a somewhat similar issue with a Canik a while back which is recounted here.....

https://sigtalk.com/guns/240970-canik-tp9sfx.html#post3277410

MsDV8, the plate you show as I recall has 'M3' indicated on the top, and I assume that's the screw thread.  So it does seem that is the correct screws for a Glock MOS plate as evidenced here....

http://www.battlewerx.com/vortex-venom-mounting-screws-for-glock-mos-m3x-5x6mm-pair/

So I can only assume the screws that Vortex uses for the Venom's picitinny mount are slightly larger.  Luckily, it looks like Home Depot does carry a screw that size...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-M3-0-5-x-6-mm-Zinc-Plated-Plain-Metric-Socket-Cap-Screw-3-Piece-per-Bag-803168/204808021

...and there do seem to be some in stock in a nearby location.  So I can at least get a set of them same-day if need be.

Edited by MoRivera

21 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

I'm the one who commented on the YouTube page about getting my Shadow 1 slide milled by CZ Custom for a direct mount of a Venom, hoping that I wouldn't have this problem.

I ran into a somewhat similar issue with a Canik a while back which is recounted here.....

https://sigtalk.com/guns/240970-canik-tp9sfx.html#post3277410

MsDV8, the plate you show as I recall has 'M3' indicated on the top, and I assume that's the screw thread.  So it does seem that is the correct screws for a Block MOS plate as evidenced here....

http://www.battlewerx.com/vortex-venom-mounting-screws-for-glock-mos-m3x-5x6mm-pair/

So I can only assume the the screws that Vortex uses for the Venom's picitinny mount is slightly larger.  Luckily, it looks like Home Depot does carry a screw that size...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-M3-0-5-x-6-mm-Zinc-Plated-Plain-Metric-Socket-Cap-Screw-3-Piece-per-Bag-803168/204808021

...and there do seem to be some in stock in a nearby location.  So I can at least get a set of them same-day if need be.

Thank you for posting this!   Super helpful for other shooters running into same issue.  One would think that the CZ adapter plate would be milled to fit the standard bolts included for the Vortex, not everyone is getting the Glock MOS bolts and are having trouble sourcing.  Good to know Home Depot carries them.  Home Depot in Canada can be slightly more anemic than the American Home Depot :( Thanks again for posting @MoRivera