Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting ducks in a row for starting 3 gun this spring

8 minutes ago, Remington92 said:

How far will a 12 tube stick out past a 26” barrel?

Not very much, actually. And the extra keeps your muzzle/choke tube from hitting stuff when "grounding" it...

37 minutes ago, Remington92 said:

my tube that holds 10 sticks out about an inch past my 26" barrel.  so another ~5" on top of that.

make sure you know your POI for slugs at various distances!  and actually for your shot also, especially as you tighten that choke up.  i remember an early 3 gun match where i went to full choke for the first time.  missed everything, had to dump the shottie and get all the little plates with pistol, + all the pistol targets.  trust me i took my time with the pistol targets as i knew i was running out of ammo and finished with either 1 or zero rounds left.

3 hours ago, Remington92 said:

Don't worry about it. Most of us started shooting 3 gun with a tube flush with the muzzle for aesthetic reasons and within a couple matches went and bought another extension to get to at least 12 in the tube.

1 hour ago, Remington92 said:

Can anyone tell me if it’s worth putting the money into my sbe2 to get the port opened or not worry with more money into this gun and start saving for a dedicated 3” gun?

Like many have said, take the gear you have now and go shoot some matches.  See what others use.  I guarantee if you have ammo, they will let you shoot their guns.  Most will even let you shoot with their ammo to get you hooked into the game.

After a few matches, you will have a better feel for what division you like, what gear you need, along with chances to see and talk to others why they do what they do.  

Personally, save your money for ammo and play time.  It's hard I know, we have all been there but you will be buying a lot of stuff 2 or 3 times if you're not 100% positive on the gear you "need" vs. want.

2 hours ago, Remington92 said:

Can anyone tell me if it’s worth putting the money into my sbe2 to get the port opened or not worry with more money into this gun and start saving for a dedicated 3” gun?

One of my good freind's in the game has run the SBE's (his sons shoot also).  You need to run hotter ammo and you can't just buy a carrier for them.  But I would make the port easier to load . now and if you love the game and your a Benelli man get a M2 or Beretta n 1301 or maybe a Breda.  The M2's are nice because they run the low recoil slugs well.  The Beretta's are nice but I heard from a good source they Benelli port can be made a little better. BUT I know that Beretta relocated the serial number so maybe that is no longer true.  Just get out and shoot.  Any changes you want will be self evident I think.

3 hours ago, Remington92 said:

Well at least to start I’ve got the lifter welded,extended bolt release  and handle, extended tube, then going to have the port worked on. Try it for 3 gun this season and then have a sweet snow goose setup!

Yes!

I think a match saver would be a nice addition to a goose gun also.  That something that is on virtually every 3 gun shotgun.  Here is a link in case its not on your radar.  You don't need it for your first match.

http://www.matchsaverz.com/Matchsaverz/Home.html

I have had the best luck with this one, not the copy I tried.

1 hour ago, 12glocks said:

Yes!

I think a match saver would be a nice addition to a goose gun also.  That something that is on virtually every 3 gun shotgun.  Here is a link in case its not on your radar.  You don't need it for your first match.

http://www.matchsaverz.com/Matchsaverz/Home.html

I have had the best luck with this one, not the copy I tried.

Thanks I forgot to type that in but yes matchsaverz is on the list! 

4 hours ago, Remington92 said:

Well at least to start I’ve got the lifter welded,extended bolt release  and handle, extended tube, then going to have the port worked on. Try it for 3 gun this season and then have a sweet snow goose setup!

i'd try it without having the port worked on.  i used a sbe2 before my current m2, and because the sbe takes 3.5" shells, that port is already pretty big and frankly i found it easier to load, totally stock, than my m2 with welded lifter and extended port.

and as noted above, because the sbe2's are sprung for more powerful 3.5" shells, mine didn't work 100% with any of the walmart 4-box packs of regular power shells (fed, rem or win), but it did work 100% with the slightly more expensive (ie faster) winchester super sports.  and it worked fine with the fiocchi low recoil slugs.