Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Reloads

JamesEM

I've been searching a lot and can't find much info on rifle (ar15 5.56) reloads. What are the par times for the top guys? Also are most or all people running their bullets facing the rear on their belt mags? I'm getting 1.8-2.00 reloads pretty consistently using the bolt catch. Not sure if I should be chasing 1 second reloads like I am with a handgun. Also if anyone can post videos of 6 reload 6 or any other videos of top shooters doing drill, I would appreciate it. 

Its important to be able to get the mag seated consistently and reasonably fast but obsessing over it and putting in hours to shave a tenth on a reload here or there won't pay many dividends in a match unless you actually have 3GN classifiers. I can count on one hand (with fingers to spare) the number of rifle mag changes I've done in the last 30 matches.

Its important to be able to get the mag seated consistently and reasonably fast but obsessing over it and putting in hours to shave a tenth on a reload here or there won't pay many dividends in a match unless you actually have 3GN classifiers. I can count on one hand (with fingers to spare) the number of rifle mag changes I've done in the last 30 matches.

This. Most of the time (99.9999%) I don’t have to reload my rifle. Especially when using a higher cap mag with “+” baseplates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Halo09 said:

Keith Garcia has a ton of videos on his instagram and youtube videos around this.  I think he gets off 3 rounds, mag change, 3 more rounds at the 2.8 second mark

Josh Froelich also has some good training videos on Facebook.  A 3-gun shooter he goes into rifle, pistol, shotgun and even PCC.

I run bullets to the rear with my rifle mags and bullets to the front with my pistol mags.  I feel like ergonomically it works better that way as the biomechanics are slightly different doing the two relaods.

Andy

On 2/15/2019 at 10:10 AM, MedicAJ said:

I run bullets to the rear with my rifle mags and bullets to the front with my pistol mags.  I feel like ergonomically it works better that way as the biomechanics are slightly different doing the two relaods.

Andy

Same. Index finger high and straight along the front of the mag for pistol, “beer can” grip for   rifle

On 2/16/2019 at 11:50 AM, DKorn said:

Same. Index finger high and straight along the front of the mag for pistol, “beer can” grip for   rifle

"Beer can grip" - I like it. :D
I'm in that camp as well: bullets forward for pistol, back for rifle(using my back pocket as a mag carrier).

Do not worry too much about how fast you can reload rifle. Worry about seating magazine all the way in so it doesn't fall out after 1 shot.

I honestly dont remember last time I had to reload a rifle mag on the clock. I rarely have to reload Pistol too.

Now what you should be putting some serous hours into ... is reloading your scattergun.  Quads or Box Mag changes. You better be able to feed that hungry beast anytime all the time.

Shotgun loading will ruin your stage in a hurry.