Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sub-2k for PCC

You can shoot with anything of course, and they are neat guns, but as far as competition goes they're not real popular.  An AR9 from PSA would be a competitive price point and offer some customization if you wanted to tinker with it.  You'll find a lot of us did the PSA thing once, and ended up jumping in and buying nicer equipment.

You don't see Kel-Tecs at steel matches.  Horrible triggers and for the same price you can get a Ruger PCC which seems to offer good performance for under $500.  Ruger PCC link

You see 99.99% AR-9 style PCCs at steel matches.  I did see one Tavor at last year's US Steel Nationals. Also saw a Marlin 9mm Camp Carbine at a local match.

If you already own the Kel-Tec, then upgrade the trigger, shoot some matches and have fun. 

• 2 years later...

A guy I shot a match with last month brought his Sub2K .40 S&W. He's a Keltec guy and seems to bring something different each month. I'm guessing he leaves the .40 in the truck for tomorrow's match. That thing looked painful to shoot, I don't think he enjoyed himself at all. I've seen a couple others with them in 9mm but they usually upgrade after a match or two. I certainly wouldn't buy one for competition.

They're fun enough guns, but the recoil is more than a nice AR9, and you're going to spend a bit of money making it decent(ish). Handguard, trigger, optic, well, that's about all you can do to them. Trigger can be made better, but not anywhere near like a nice AR trigger. You can make it light, but there will be slop, pretravel, and a bit of grit. But they are fun little guns.

1 hour ago, Shootingaggie said:

Seen them at some matches. As the others said, people normally gravitate to something else once they been competing little while. 

To be fair, people gravitate to something else because something else is what all the cool kids are using, and they're told you can't be competitive without the latest and greatest stuff. Or it's shinier, or cooler looking. They move to a JP Rifle, then spend a ton more money trying to make it lighter and shorter. Nothing against JP Rifles, they make some nice stuff that works really well, but they're not known as the company that makes lightweight rifles. If the Kel Tec was $1,200.00, it'd probably be more popular, which is funny in a weird way.

No saying the Sub2000 is the right tool for the job, or even that it's a good tool for the job. But it is a tool for the job. And you're not going to find a smaller, more compact, lighter 9mm rifle out there anywhere near the same price. And they're fun. If the question is "can I compete with a Kel Tec?" the answer is "yes". If the question is "can I have a blast with a Kel Tec?" the answer is definitely "yes". If the question is "can I be competitive with a Kel Tec?", the answer is "yes, but you're going to have to work harder than someone with a purpose built gun."

If it's all you have, bring it out and shoot it. Look around and see what people are using, and what issues they're having. Figure out what you want without spending a ton of money. Enough guys already did that, and they're more than happy to share their experience with you so you don't have to. Or just shoot your Kel Tec and get good with it. I know a guy who raced motorcycles. He always said "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow". 

I have owned two Kel-Tec Sub 2000 carbines. A gen I in 40 and a gen 2 in 9. 

Pros: unique, compact, affordable, lightweight, good warranty service. 

unfortunately, both of mine required multiple trips for warranty. They did a fine job replacing parts that failed and repairing other defects. For a $350-$450 investment, their service was great! 

after the last fix I decided that my time and $$ was better invested in something that cost more but was an improvement in reliability. I now have a JP GMR 15 and am a convert. 

can you compete with a keltec? Yes! But I would buy two so you can have a backup if/when the primary goes down. YMMV, but this was my experience with two generations over several years and about 500 rounds each. 

9 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

To be fair, people gravitate to something else because something else is what all the cool kids are using, and they're told you can't be competitive without the latest and greatest stuff. Or it's shinier, or cooler looking. They move to a JP Rifle, then spend a ton more money trying to make it lighter and shorter. Nothing against JP Rifles, they make some nice stuff that works really well, but they're not known as the company that makes lightweight rifles. If the Kel Tec was $1,200.00, it'd probably be more popular, which is funny in a weird way.

No saying the Sub2000 is the right tool for the job, or even that it's a good tool for the job. But it is a tool for the job. And you're not going to find a smaller, more compact, lighter 9mm rifle out there anywhere near the same price. And they're fun. If the question is "can I compete with a Kel Tec?" the answer is "yes". If the question is "can I have a blast with a Kel Tec?" the answer is definitely "yes". If the question is "can I be competitive with a Kel Tec?", the answer is "yes, but you're going to have to work harder than someone with a purpose built gun."

If it's all you have, bring it out and shoot it. Look around and see what people are using, and what issues they're having. Figure out what you want without spending a ton of money. Enough guys already did that, and they're more than happy to share their experience with you so you don't have to. Or just shoot your Kel Tec and get good with it. I know a guy who raced motorcycles. He always said "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow". 

Very well said!  There are GM’s, well at least one, running a Kel-Tec (and no, it’s not me, haha).

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I know the guy who made GM in uspsa pcc shooting the keltec. Shot w him in Arkansas and Oklahoma. 

He now uses something else and his keltec was not stock.

To be fair, most if not all AR type rifles used in our game aren't stock either, especially the ones used by cats who made GM with them. 

I'm not even good and my rifles aren't stock...

6 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

interesting that this thread was dead for 2 years and now making a comeback...   BTW:  I didn't get a Sub2K, went with the Ruger PC Carbine.

Hows the Ruger PCC holding up and working out for you? 

19 hours ago, Doge said:

Hows the Ruger PCC holding up and working out for you? 

Works great for me.  Only use it in Steel Challenge so that is all I can really expound on.  It's heavy, that is for sure.  I understand that there are a couple of manuf. out there creating a lightweight barrel.  But the heaviest part is the bolt...

3 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

Works great for me.  Only use it in Steel Challenge so that is all I can really expound on.  It's heavy, that is for sure.  I understand that there are a couple of manuf. out there creating a lightweight barrel.  But the heaviest part is the bolt...

Okay, I'm surprised I don't see more of them in Steel Challenge as the ergos are similar to a 10/22. Not gonna lie I would love to shoot steel challenge with an SBR SP5. 

On 3/3/2021 at 11:11 AM, Doge said:

Okay, I'm surprised I don't see more of them in Steel Challenge as the ergos are similar to a 10/22. Not gonna lie I would love to shoot steel challenge with an SBR SP5. 

Now that would be FUN!