Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 9mm die not depriming any more

I've been loading 9mm on my XL650 for a dozen or more years now.  I've got the Dillon sizing die in station 1.  Lately, it has been having a difficult time pushing primers all of the way out of the case. They hang on, and then of course the new primer pushes the old one back into place.  The issue does not seem to be related to any one headstamp.

The die has not backed out, and the decapping pin appears to be undamaged.  So after tens of thousands of rounds, what has changed?  In the 100 rounds I just loaded, I had 7 primers hang up.  I finally got smart and put a universal decapping die in the Rock Chucker, so I can address these as they come up.  Or maybe I should be really smart and just use a different die. I'm sure I've got another one around here somewhere.  

But it's bugging me.  Any idea on why it would start not fully decapping like this?

The primers are getting wedge or stuck into the decapping pin and so it doesn’t drop like it’s supposed to. Take the sizing die and check the decapping pin and make sure it’s not so pointed wherein it’ll get itself stuck into the primer when it tries to push the primer out of the case.

Do a search on primer pull back or words to that effect. We have all been where you are and there are several threads on how to prevent it, what may cause it, etc. Generally the pin needs rounded off or beveled like I did mine. It seems like soft primers(Federal)are the most prone.

As mentioned above the tip of the decap pin need to be reshaped. The Dillon dies have a spring on the decap pin assembly that aids in removing the spent primer, while you have the decap pin assembly out of the die check the spring.---------------Larry

Or do what I did.  No pull back.

SBifdCi.jpg

Lyman decapping pins, an old Dillon decapping pin that the pin has been cut - make sure that the barrel is square.

Assemble pin first, then barrel, and then onto the stem.  It will come out square.

• 3 years later...

Bonjour, je suis français, je ne parle pas très bien l'américain, pourriez-vous me donner le fil sur la tige de décapsulage sur la photo également appelé assemblage deprime

, est-ce 1/4 28 ?

MERCI 

CORDIALEMENT