Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC and Coated Bullets

mellino19

Hi all,

I'm looking to change up my PCC loads for various performance aspects and partially going with the herd. I hear of many PCC guys going over to 124gr loads over 147gr. I know buffer and everything else matters but I'm concerned with reloading for now.

I'm currently running 3.3grs Titegroup with Xtreme 147gr RN and a 1.15" OAL. No idea what FPS or PF (no chrono). I'd like something that runs a little more quickly. The main reason I run this formula is because it's what I use in my CO guns and my PCC is sub-MOA accurate with them but a tad sluggish cycling.

I ordered 1000 125gr RN Ibejiheads and was looking for some tips from guys running painted bullets on PCC platform.

The Hodgdon site shows a starting load of 3.6grs with a max of 4.0grs but a OAL of 1.125 for 125gr rounds and for 124gr rounds the OAL is a dash longer and max charge is a whopping 0.1grs higher. These are also pistol load data points so I don't know how much should change for a PCC.

I dropped an Ibeji into my press and without touching anything I get 1.14" OAL. I figure with a PCC this won't be much of an issue and was thinking of doing some load development with 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8 to see how they all perform.

Any recommendations on loads or am I pretty much heading the right direction? I'm running a 14.5" AND a 16" upper if that matters.

Thanks!

Update after post: COATED bullets, not painted 😛

Edited by mellino19
wording correction

Your length may be to long most (not all) pcc require shorter ammo.

mine for example with a SNS 125 RN  1.120 do a plunk test before you load up a

bunch of ammo.         Next start at 3.0 powder charge  you may be pleasantly surprised

at how it shoots. You may end up at the same charge you are using for your 147.

Painted? you mean polymer-coated, I assume....

many of the coated bullets are fatter in the ogive than plated, so I recommend loading one up and dropping it into your barrel to make sure it doesn't interfere with the rifling. If it does, put it back in your seating die and push it .01 deeper and try again. continue until you get a round that plunks reliably.

most anything should make pf in a 14" barrel.

2 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Painted? you mean polymer-coated, I assume....

many of the coated bullets are fatter in the ogive than plated, so I recommend loading one up and dropping it into your barrel to make sure it doesn't interfere with the rifling. If it does, put it back in your seating die and push it .01 deeper and try again. continue until you get a round that plunks reliably.

most anything should make pf in a 14" barrel.

Coated, yes, sorry. My buddy always calls them painted, bad habit I picked up haha.

Does the plunk test do the same as using a case gauge or is this different?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, mellino19 said:

Does the plunk test do the same as using a case gauge or is this different?

case gauges may or may not conform to the specs of your chamber. some guns can happily run much longer bullets than others.

You only need to plunk test once with a particular bullet to find out the max length for that bullet in your gun.

11 hours ago, goldfish said:

Monitor your reloading dies for built up as the coating does sometimes flake off and may cause some inconsistency in your loads.

have YOU actually had this happen?

Have loaded tens of thousands of sns, bayou, eagleson ,precision, etc and never experienced this.

I guess you could have this if you dies aren't set up correctly.Or poor quality coated bullets.

Now old style lead wax lubed bullets that's an entirely different story.

Edited by AHI