Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Funeral for the Glock

mont1120

While I admit my main CO competition gun is a CZ, my back up was a G34 Glock. I just never could get used to the strange angle on the Glock, or the way the trigger felt. Even with an Apex aftermarket trigger kit install, it still made me shoot about as bad as can be possible. Out the door it went, and now I am awaiting an OSP 9mm XDm.

Have a Vortex Venom and new trigger ready to go. I feel the XDm platform is so much better, for me at least. It may just send the CZ into a back up role. I shot a .40 XDm in 3 gun and Limited 10, and other then some crazy reload issues, shot it very well.

Sorry Gluck, your time was short, perhaps your new owner shall let you see some sunshine........

Mont,  I know the feeling

Played with the Gloch until It felt "pretty" good but never felt right.

Went to a Tanfo and liked the feel but it seemed a little to finicky for me.

Bought the springer XDm OSP and have never had a day I wasn't happy with it.

Playing with SIG's right now but very happy I know the OSP is in the safe if needed

Like the SIG Romeo1 6moa sight the best for size, weight and dot brightness.

DPP next, in fact that's what is on the OSP.

Enjoy your new gun!

Thanks for the thread. I'm contemplating a move to CO having shot XDm starting with with a 9mm 4.5  in Production and moved to Limited with a .40 5.25. I looked into having my 4.5 milled for a dot but looks like a better deal would be an OSP. Considering a move to either Glock or Sig but I think that's just because I'm in the mood for something different. Familiarity with the XDm platform certainly gives them the nod.

13 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Thanks for the thread. I'm contemplating a move to CO having shot XDm starting with with a 9mm 4.5  in Production and moved to Limited with a .40 5.25. I looked into having my 4.5 milled for a dot but looks like a better deal would be an OSP. Considering a move to either Glock or Sig but I think that's just because I'm in the mood for something different. Familiarity with the XDm platform certainly gives them the nod.

I got started in CO by installing a Springer Precision CO mount on the %.25 frame I had in .40. That was when the round count was limited to 10. I had decided to shoot minor .40, and I really liked it. When the rules changed to 140MM mags, it was time for the 9MM. I did go with CZ, and I think it is the best gun I have. Having said that, had the OSP been out with the XDm, thats what I would be shooting today.

My friend just bought the SIG, and he hates it. He is also the one who bought the Gluck, so there that is............

2 hours ago, mont1120 said:

I got started in CO by installing a Springer Precision CO mount on the %.25 frame

Apparently, Springer is no longer doing this work on XDm's. Otherwise, that would be my first move would be having the 4.5 milled by them. They now recommend the dovetail mount which fully commits you to CO. A couple months ago OSP's were on the web for a little over $400. Wonder if there was a design change and they were flushing out old stock. My local has them for $850 with the optic.

7 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Apparently, Springer is no longer doing this work on XDm's. Otherwise, that would be my first move would be having the 4.5 milled by them. They now recommend the dovetail mount which fully commits you to CO. A couple months ago OSP's were on the web for a little over $400. Wonder if there was a design change and they were flushing out old stock. My local has them for $850 with the optic.

They were flushing out old stock because Springfield announced a new OSP package that includes the standard barrel and a threaded suppressor ready barrel in the box. I picked one up for my wife for about $350 with no optic right before the new ones were released.

12 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

How does that “fully commit” your pistol to CO? 

I shoot a Glock 17 with a FF3 and Burris dovetail. 4 screws and tapping the iron sight back in makes it a production gun. 

9 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

No co-witness if your battery dies. Pretty hard to tap an  iron sight in mid-match.

Pretty sure the CO champion only has a dot strapped to his sig.... and when was the last time you saw an open shooter that was cowitnessing??

Edited by HCH

On 2/13/2019 at 8:29 AM, Mcfoto said:

What does your friend hate? So far, this one feels the best giving the gun counter handshake.

Felt the recoil was really slapping his hand instead of the normal recoil impulse, plus he feels the axis height is disturbing.

On 2/13/2019 at 1:41 PM, tomjerry1 said:

Check out Powder River for machining the OSP mount. Cheaper than a new pistol, but what the heck, good excuse for another 

Already found a new OSP far less cheaper then buying a used XDm 4.5 and having it cut.....

2 hours ago, mont1120 said:

Felt the recoil was really slapping his hand instead of the normal recoil impulse, plus he feels the axis height is disturbing.

Ironic since I’ve heard Glock shooters with the same complaint about XDms.

3 hours ago, mont1120 said:

Already found a new OSP far less cheaper then buying a used XDm 4.5 and having it cut.....

This is where I am too. Of course my 4.5 has had a lot of rounds through it so needs other love but sending it out to get refurbed and an optic mounted would be more expensive than an OSP with an optic.

Edited by Mcfoto

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:40 PM, Mcfoto said:

No co-witness if your battery dies. Pretty hard to tap an  iron sight in mid-match. 

On numerous occasions I have replaced the battery in my dot during a match. I have also replaced firing pins in my revolver at the safe table. For that matter I have had fiber optic front sight inserts fall out and have replaced them in the field. 

OK now that I have said that I have an inquiry that sort of goes along with what is being discussed here.   I have an XDM 4.5 new never fired yet and a total of 6 magazines. I'm trying to find a competition use for it. I realize I will need to put some money in it but don't want to get carried away. Other guns I have in competition service now are a G17 for carry optics and a G34 for production, both have upgrades especially the G17. For both of those I also have a production holster/belt for USPSA and an IDPA rig but I do very little IDPA.

So, I'm thinking about using the XDM for Steel Challenge open division Since there is no power factor in steel challenge and no need to do reloads on the clock I can dispense with compensators, mag wells and charging handle. I think but do not know for sure if the 4.5 barrel will be a hold back but with an optic I don't think so. I would handload for a soft shooting round that will be dependable and accurate.

What I'm mulling over is a trigger kit, a frame mount for a dot and of course the dot itself which would probably be a C-MORE slide ride. I would also need a race belt/holster, prolly a DAA Racer holster and a DAA 2 pc belt. So I would be looking at spending about $500 maybe a little bit more to achieve this. Allow me to say that as far as competition is concerned I'm not trying to achieve GM in open pistol as I already have enough good guns to shoot OSR, ISR, RFPO, RFRO and decent hardware for CO and Stock. I don't really have enough time to shoot all of the guns I already have to be honest.

Does this make sense or is it a waste of time/money? Has anyone mounted a frame mount optic on this gun? If so what did they use and is it effective? Thanks in advance.

I dabbled into making an Open XDm years back, but it was really just tinkering around, it was a .40 caliber 4.5. Anyway, you will definitely need the trigger parts, and for the Red Dot mount I used a Neumount style, which wraps completely around the frame, and is secured by the accessory rail. It is rock solid. You will need a special holster however, as the mount gets in the way of most holster setups. The CR Speed open style mount is the one that works with a little bit of the plastic removed.

This would give you a really reliable and top notch shooting firearm. I dont shoot much steel, so my system gathers dust. I gave the threaded barrel to my son with the comp, he thinks it is pretty cool. For what you are wanting to do, it would be fun.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:31 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Mont,  I know the feeling

Played with the Gloch until It felt "pretty" good but never felt right.

Went to a Tanfo and liked the feel but it seemed a little to finicky for me.

Bought the springer XDm OSP and have never had a day I wasn't happy with it.

Playing with SIG's right now but very happy I know the OSP is in the safe if needed

Like the SIG Romeo1 6moa sight the best for size, weight and dot brightness.

DPP next, in fact that's what is on the OSP.

Enjoy your new gun!

Same with ya'll, both.

I shoot a lot of Glocks, but it will never be "right" - pretty much mainly because of the ergos. 

Thinking about sinking $300~ into getting the frame modified to fit me (straighten backstrap, mainly), but it's a gamble.

I figured, sell one of the Glocks, send the grip in as a last hurrah/hope for Glocks.

I really like the P09 and wish they copied the ergos/classic 75 ergos on the CZ P10F as I waited 2 years for it to be my Glock replacement.