Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

33 oz XDM

Joe4d

Up to 33 oz on my XDM, IDPA CO ,,,,, aboult 32 UPSA ,,,  Still a bit of working...
Actually now gun feels kinda  weird, need to do some bill drills and elpresidenties stock and modded. see what I get.  Weight is in hand,,, seems to be some room on frame over serial number.... 

4 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Up to 33 oz on my XDM, IDPA CO ,,,,, aboult 32 UPSA ,,,  Still a bit of working...
Actually now gun feels kinda  weird, need to do some bill drills and elpresidenties stock and modded. see what I get.  Weight is in hand,,, seems to be some room on frame over serial number.... 

What xdm, and caliber?  What did the gun originally weigh  (springfield website says the 5.25 is 32.5, but who knows how they weigh it)?  And what have you done to add weight?

Mine with a Springer aluminum magwell , slide racker,  and 140mm mag extensions...plus a Pistolgear tungsten guide rod is right about 36oz. I've got the slide at Springer for milling, then will probably add their brass magwell to it. It should be closer to 38-39oz (just redistributed) by the time I get that done. Mine is a 5.25 .40S&W.

My IDPA ESP gun is about 34oz with Springer ESP magwell, solid stainless guide rod, and .25 base pads...also a 5.25 .40S&W.

My wife's Production gun (5.25 9mm) is 33oz with a tungsten guide rod and .375 Springer base pads.

XDM osp 9mm 4.5"  Steel guide rod, Vortex Viper. IDPA ESP Springer funnel and base pads. used tungston putty and a couple weights meant for pinebox derby cars from amazon under the grip..  Gun was 28oz  with sight and stock mag and parts. Putty worked really well. nothing permanent on gun it stays soft, was able to press a couple weights in it and it holds them in place and spreads a bit when you put the grip back on so nothing rattling around. Gun kinda feels like a steel frame now,,, just adding a couple ozs just changes how gun feels. Was surprised.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

Putty worked really well. nothing permanent on gun it stays soft, was able to press a couple weights in it and it holds them in place and spreads a bit when you put the grip back on so nothing rattling around. 

I was planning on trying this as well. Did you trim out the ribs inside the backstrap to make room for the putty/weights?

I'm thinking about that, the brass magwell, and maybe a weight made with a light body to get the non-reciprocating weight up.

no, just filled the 3 cavities with the tungsten putty, then pressed in a couple weights as well,

What game/division ? Brass magwell a nogo in USPSA production, CO and IDPA.  
Far as IDPA could make a case either way.  CXOntradictory rule book. One area it says no weighted grips, another says aftermarket grips are ok as long as they are no more than 2oz over stock..

Edited by Joe4d

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 9:05 AM, MikeRussell said:

Mine with a Springer aluminum magwell , slide racker,  and 140mm mag extensions...plus a Pistolgear tungsten guide rod is right about 36oz. I've got the slide at Springer for milling, then will probably add their brass magwell to it. It should be closer to 38-39oz (just redistributed) by the time I get that done. Mine is a 5.25 .40S&W.

My IDPA ESP gun is about 34oz with Springer ESP magwell, solid stainless guide rod, and .25 base pads...also a 5.25 .40S&W.

My wife's Production gun (5.25 9mm) is 33oz with a tungsten guide rod and .375 Springer base pads.

Will the .375 base pads fit the IDPA box?

1 hour ago, Jeff O said:

Will the .375 base pads fit the IDPA box?

I doubt it. I did a Lvl 3 earlier this year and mine with +.25s only fit the box when the rear sight was compressed fully. The 5.25 is a very tight fit in the box when outfitted identical to mine.

• 1 month later...

ended up going to the smaller grip panel vs the medium, on the draw kept having to search for the dot. Went to the small and it dropped the dot down into the window seems to be working. Current issue is my follow up shots in Bill drills or the IDPA 5X5.  Gun is nosediving , basically I feel it is still overspprung.. Any decent options out there ? I am running steel rod and wolff 14lb at the moment, but have heard going lighter may cause gun to come out of battery.

I use a 16lb recoil spring and can pull the slide out of battery if I snap the gun back around a wall/barricade and drive it out hard. Not enough to induce any problems, but I don't think I'd go any lower for myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

well crud, sounds like it is what it is unless I lighten the slide. All I have done is stand and shoot with it.  Looks like I will have to actually practice and do some hand and forearm weight training.

Edited by Joe4d

On 2/12/2019 at 2:45 PM, Joe4d said:

no, just filled the 3 cavities with the tungsten putty, then pressed in a couple weights as well,

What game/division ? Brass magwell a nogo in USPSA production, CO and IDPA.  
Far as IDPA could make a case either way.  CXOntradictory rule book. One area it says no weighted grips, another says aftermarket grips are ok as long as they are no more than 2oz over stock..

How much tungsten should I order to do the same thing to my XDM?

dont need much,, smallest container of tungsten putty and some soap box weights.
I ordered these , way more than I needed but came in different sizes and no idea what I would need.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072L2LLCR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then this putty

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F1KQD8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1