Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
3Dflyer

.223 69-77 gr ammo suggestions factory/hand load

Finding hoser ammo in the 69-77 grain range is proving to be a challenge. 

My Savage seems to be night and day better with 69 vs 55 gr ammo and I wish to try heavier. 

Id like to start off with some factory loads to narrow down what my barrel prefers. I have ahort term access to a loader to work up handloads from there. 

Are there some tried and true heavier bullets for 3 gun?

Use cheap/bulk brass cased 55gr for hoser, it will be close enough to your heavy bullets.

Find a handload or factory 68-77gr .223 that shoots well in your gun, chrono it, test it at various distances, and use that only for small and long range targets.

Burning the good stuff on hoser paper just wastes money.

5 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Why the desire for a heavy bullet hoser load?

If I can reload one bullet that works well up close and long range,  and is cheaper than buying average 55 gr bulk ammo, life would be simpler all around.  When I say hoser, I don't mean hundreds of rounds per day, except at weekend events.

With 55 grain ammo I see a greater poa/poi shift between 50 yards and 100 yards.  55 grain can hit 4" higher at 100 yds while 69 gr hits only 1-1.5" higher.  I would call 0-50 yds hoser ammo due to faster target acqusition.

If you can reload heavies for cheaper than 55gr factory ammo, imagine how cheap you can reload 55's for.

As far as 55's going 4" high at 100yds, is this with a verified solid 50yd zero? Because if it is you are either defying physics or you have a 5+ inch sight height over bore.

18 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

As far as 55's going 4" high at 100yds, is this with a verified solid 50yd zero? Because if it is you are either defying physics or you have a 5+ inch sight height over bore.

think he's saying he zeroes with heavy and then 55 shoots way high.

for me, i just have a cheat sheet (dope card).  69g zeroed at 200 and i wrote down POI for both 55 and 69 from super close all the way out.  so when i use blaster ammo within 200 i know where i have to hold.  even the black hill blue box reloads are way too expensive to blast away with.

That makes more sense.  I also zero with my heavies and make note of the offset with 55gr blaster ammo, but it's never been more than 1" vertical offset at 50yd with negligible horizontal. For the size and range of the targets I use the 55's for it isn't worth worrying about.

I settled for loading Hornady 75 grain HPBT for my 1 - 8 twist AR-15.  Those bullets are available in bulk from Midway and catching them on sale at Midway is what you want to watch for.

I have excellent results with SMK 69gr over 25.0 of varget

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, 3Dflyer said:

Finding hoser ammo in the 69-77 grain range is proving to be a challenge. 

My Savage seems to be night and day better with 69 vs 55 gr ammo and I wish to try heavier. 

Id like to start off with some factory loads to narrow down what my barrel prefers. I have ahort term access to a loader to work up handloads from there. 

Are there some tried and true heavier bullets for 3 gun?

I shoot NRA highpower with an AR-15.  I have extensive knowledge loading for 556 for short range (200-300yds) and mid-range matches (500-600yards).

If you have a 1:8twist barrel or faster (1:7.7 or 1:7) my advise is to skip the 69gr bullets and go straight to 75gr Hornady or 77gr Nosler/Sierra 70gr Bergers.

Reloading formula

75gr hornady or 77gr Nosler/Sierra

24.5gr Varget or25.2gr 2000MR or 22.1gr AR-Comp

LC brass

Win small rifle primer or any primer of your choice

Muzzle velocity: 2,800ft/s from a 20" barrel.

If you must shoot factory loaded ammunition, look into black-hills, southwest ammunition, hornady, or federal.

Good luck.