Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to buy powder locally?

Thaunk

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Unless you are in one of those rare situations where there is a large reloading supply store nearby it’s always better to just order in bulk online.

Yep.  Heck around here if buy you about 4 pounds of powder you can come out cheaper paying the hazmat and ordering.  

On 2/11/2019 at 7:56 AM, RJH said:

Yep.  Heck around here if buy you about 4 pounds of powder you can come out cheaper paying the hazmat and ordering.  

I shopped around a bit here. 8lbs of Alliant powders go for like $180 a jug, plus 10% sales tax. And I couldn't even find Sport Pistol in stock. I ordered 8lbs from Grafs, even with Hazmat and shipping I came in nearly $25 cheaper than buying local.

If I'd had the funds to order 2 of those jugs it would have been over $60 cheaper for 2 jugs. I can't seem to find the quantity of primers that it makes sense to order online. Looks like a case of 5k comes in at $30ish/1k + Shipping, tax and hazmat. I can buy locally for like $33/k + tax and sometimes I find the S&B primers at cabelas for $19/k. It's not worth saving like $5 to have to be home to sign for a Hazmat delivery!

Edited by jmtyndall

32 minutes ago, jmtyndall said:

I shopped around a bit here. 8lbs of Alliant powders go for like $180 a jug, plus 10% sales tax. And I couldn't even find Sport Pistol in stock. I ordered 8lbs from Grafs, even with Hazmat and shipping I came in nearly $25 cheaper than buying local.

If I'd had the funds to order 2 of those jugs it would have been over $60 cheaper for 2 jugs. I can't seem to find the quantity of primers that it makes sense to order online. Looks like a case of 5k comes in at $30ish/1k + Shipping, tax and hazmat. I can buy locally for like $33/k + tax and sometimes I find the S&B primers at cabelas for $19/k. It's not worth saving like $5 to have to be home to sign for a Hazmat delivery!

This is why you find a few buddies and do a group buy splitting all shipping and fees. Order 50k primers split 3-4 ways is pretty cheap.

Group your powder and primer order together you would be amazed how much can ship in 1 hazmat. Powder valley now has a function to tell you how many more pounds you can order.

I think you can go up to 50lb? My last order was 40lb powder and 10k primers.
It hurts to buy that much at once but then it doesnt hurt again for a while.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

This is why you find a few buddies and do a group buy splitting all shipping and fees. Order 50k primers split 3-4 ways is pretty cheap.

Woah, I draw the line at making friends....

Actually that's a great plan. Once I meet a few local shooters I can try to get in on some future group buys