Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier calculation

levellinebrad

I've been shooting uspsa for about 4.5 years and still don't understand the classifier calculation enough to know which classifier will get dropped this week. I am currently at 70.9058 in open and have the following scores to make that up.

Feb 9    18-04    P    82.9522

Feb 9     06-03   P    74.3100

Feb 02                F

Jan 22   18-05   Y    66.7177

Jan 19                D

Jan 19                B

Jan 13   18.02   Y    78.9634

Jan 13.               B

Jan 13                B

Jan 12   18-07   Y    70.3809

Jan 12                B

Jan 12                B

Dec 22                B

Dec 08    03-05  Y    64.2767

Nov 10                B

Nov 03                B

Oct 13                 F

Oct 06    99-13   Y    72.7926

Sep 08    06-04   Y   72.3035

The way I understand the classification system is that the best 6 of the last 8 classifiers is what is used to calculate your current classification. That would mean that the 64% and the 66% would drop? Just checking to see if that's correct. Thanks.

You are basically replacing the bottom two scores (the 72s) with the top ones. It's a +2.02% difference to your average.

They are the oldest scores so they drop off first to make way for the top two. The "F"s remain your lowest and stay dropped.

Edited by NickBlasta

20 minutes ago, NickBlasta said:

You are basically replacing the bottom two scores (the 72s) with the top ones. It's a +2.02% difference to your average.

They are the oldest scores so they drop off first to make way for the top two. The "F"s remain your lowest and stay dropped.

That is what I used to think as well but if you look at the rules it is the best six out of the last eight. It does not say anything about oldest. I hope that you are right because I would like to stay in B class for a while longer.

4 minutes ago, levellinebrad said:

That is what I used to think as well but if you look at the rules it is the best six out of the last eight. It does not say anything about oldest. I hope that you are right because I would like to stay in B class for a while longer.

Yes. "Last" 8 is the 8 most recent valid classifiers. Since the top two are valid scores, they bump out the oldest two valid scores. They become "E". The current two lowest, the "F"s are still your two lowest of the 8 and stay F.

3 hours ago, levellinebrad said:

.... best six out of the last eight. It does not say anything about oldest...

The LAST EIGHT= The newest.  Therefore, the OLDEST gets dropped.

If you go to the USPSA website, look at the CONCISE view under the classifier lookup.  It might be easier for you to follow

7 hours ago, levellinebrad said:

I've been shooting uspsa for about 4.5 years and still don't understand the classifier calculation enough to know which classifier will get dropped this week. I am currently at 70.9058 in open and have the following scores to make that up.

Feb 9    18-04    P    82.9522

Feb 9     06-03   P    74.3100

Feb 02                F

Jan 22   18-05   Y    66.7177

Jan 19                D

Jan 19                B

Jan 13   18.02   Y    78.9634

Jan 13.               B

Jan 13                B

Jan 12   18-07   Y    70.3809

Jan 12                B

Jan 12                B

Dec 22                B

Dec 08    03-05  Y    64.2767

Nov 10                B

Nov 03                B

Oct 13                 F

Oct 06    99-13   Y    72.7926

Sep 08    06-04   Y   72.3035

The way I understand the classification system is that the best 6 of the last 8 classifiers is what is used to calculate your current classification. That would mean that the 64% and the 66% would drop? Just checking to see if that's correct. Thanks.

Yes, the 2 current scores marked with a "P" are entered scores and have not been updated to your classification record. When they do process these 2 entered scores, which I believe they are now once a week on Wednesday. Then the 64 and 66 will be dropped.

Also, you already have 2 scores in the A bracket (82.9% and 78.9%), all you need is 4 more to move up to an Open A.

1 hour ago, Lastcat said:

Also, you already have 2 scores in the A bracket (82.9% and 78.9%), all you need is 4 more to move up to an Open A.

Not exactly.  You do not need 6 A scores to move up to A class.  Your average of the best 6 of the last 8 needs to be greater than 75%. 

1 minute ago, Balakay said:

Not exactly.  You do not need 6 A scores to move up to A class.  Your average of the best 6 of the last 8 needs to be greater than 75%. 

True, I didn't get into the details when I said, "all you need is 4 more..." I could have said 4 more that get your current average about 75%, but left that out for a reason.

9 hours ago, NickBlasta said:

Yes. "Last" 8 is the 8 most recent valid classifiers. Since the top two are valid scores, they bump out the oldest two valid scores. They become "E". The current two lowest, the "F"s are still your two lowest of the 8 and stay F.

Gotcha. I think it was the F’s that had me worried. I couldn’t remember what the deal was with those but if they stay, then I’m good to go. Thanks