Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun "flatness"....video

BigBamBoo

So I hear a lot about how flat a given gun shoots when it comes to open rigs. I am a total new open gun shooter and this video is from the forth time shooting this rig. I know my grip make a big difference. In fact you can see my last shot had a bit of a dip and I owe that to my grip as I was about to exit the shooting position.

That being said...it looks pretty flat to me...what do you folks think? I know the dot never leaves my view...if I am doing my part and seems to go straight up and comes back to where I started.

Anyways...again...all new to open. About the rig....it is a 20 year Briley El Presidente in 38SC that I "modernized" with new sight, grip, racker, etc. Load is 10gr of AA7, 124gr MG, Starline brass, and Fed small primers.

I have a few thoughts:

- Ifyou want to meaningful slow-mo analysis you need more frames per second and a tighter frame.

Look at this video:

Compared to this one:

- That said, after six years of chasing the the ultimate flat shooting Open gun, I've concluded while it's a fun project and nice for bragging rights, flatness is largely overrated in terms of scoring.  As long as your gun runs 100% of the time, it won't hold you back.

7 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

flatness is largely overrated in terms of scoring.  As long as your gun runs 100% of the time, it won't hold you back.

This is what I’ve told so many people but everyone still seems to chase the flattest shooting blaster

Thanks folks. Not looking to chase flatness at this point. Again,very new to open. It was the first time I had video of the rig from the side and thought I would post it up. Seems pretty flat to me when I am holding onto it correctly.

The gun runs 100% so I am not going to change anything at this point. I just need to practice. At 50 I know my go fast days are behind me, so I just shoot for fun.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:33 AM, kneelingatlas said:

To be sure it's a fun project, but there are no points awarded for flatness 🤣

No points for flatness, but definitely points for faster splits.  I've read many posts about how transitions are more important than splits and fast splits just sound cool but aren't overly important. 

Ben Stoeger/Hwansik Kim at PTSG highly recommend working on "doubles" drill.  Basically 4 fast pairs on 1 target at various distances and assessing group size and split times for each pair.  The goal at 5 yards is <0.2 sec splits and group size of 3” for all 8 shots.  Obviously slower splits/larger group size as distance increases.

The logic is you can concentrate on getting fast/accurate splits in live fire and work on getting faster transitions in dry fire.  This is especially helpful for people relegated to indoor ranges for practice.  

Hwansik was regularly getting 0.15 to 0.17 sec splits with 3” groups with a production gun.

Initially, with my open gun, I regularly get the 0.15 to 0.17 sec splits, but my 8-shot group size was barely staying within the A-Zone.  My load was 124 gr MG JHP with 8.2 gr HS6.

Instead of changing up my load or compensator, I worked on my grip and trigger control.  For 5 yards, my splits have stayed in the 0.15 to 0.17sec range, but my group size has occasionally gotten down to 3”.

I’d link some videos for the doubles drill and slow-motion video analysis of muzzle flip, but you have to be a PSTG member to view the videos.

30 minutes ago, gdboytyler said:

No points for flatness, but definitely points for faster splits.  I've read many posts about how transitions are more important than splits and fast splits just sound cool but aren't overly important. 

Ben Stoeger/Hwansik Kim at PTSG highly recommend working on "doubles" drill.  Basically 4 fast pairs on 1 target at various distances and assessing group size and split times for each pair.  The goal at 5 yards is <0.2 sec splits and group size of 3” for all 8 shots.  Obviously slower splits/larger group size as distance increases.

The logic is you can concentrate on getting fast/accurate splits in live fire and work on getting faster transitions in dry fire.  This is especially helpful for people relegated to indoor ranges for practice.  

Hwansik was regularly getting 0.15 to 0.17 sec splits with 3” groups with a production gun.

Initially, with my open gun, I regularly get the 0.15 to 0.17 sec splits, but my 8-shot group size was barely staying within the A-Zone.  My load was 124 gr MG JHP with 8.2 gr HS6.

Instead of changing up my load or compensator, I worked on my grip and trigger control.  For 5 yards, my splits have stayed in the 0.15 to 0.17sec range, but my group size has occasionally gotten down to 3”.

I’d link some videos for the doubles drill and slow-motion video analysis of muzzle flip, but you have to be a PSTG member to view the videos.

Oceanside?!?  Do we ever shoot together?