Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Primer Strikes M&P CORE

xvBlacKOuTvx

I've been experiencing light primer strikes with my M&P CORE (spec are listed below) and its driving me crazy! I've tried new strikers with 6lbs striker spring, light to heavy recoil spring, cleaning out the striker sleeve every 200 rounds and still the same thing. Every 30ish rounds nothing goes bang. Anyone else experiencing the same issue and thoughts of how to resolve it? 

M&P PC 9L C.O.R.E

Apex Trigger Kit

SSS stainless steal guide rod

SSS 11lbs and 13lb guide rod springs

SSS 6lbs striker spring

Factory Striker 

Federal Match Grade GM100 Primers

HnS 125gr bullet

CleanShot Powder 

Mixed Brass

When the original M&P first came out, I bought a 5" Pro.  I kept getting light strikes.  S&W sent me a new striker assembly twice.  I still got light strikes.  I then sent the gun to S&W and when it returned it stating they installed a new striker assembly.  Still got light strikes.  While I was disassembling the pistol, the yellow take down tap fell out of the gun.  I did not reinstall it, but after that no more light strikes.  I can only guess, maybe the take down tab was not installed properly and changing the angle of the sear somehow, causing the striker to drag and lose strength. 

One of the issues I had with my M&P 9MM (full sized model) was light strikes.  That one was a timing issue.  The striker block was not being lifted quite high enough to clear the striker on every shot.  When it didn't I'd hear a funny sounding click/rattle noise instead of a bang and the primer would have a slight/light dent in it.

There are threads here and there about how to fix that.  I don't want to give advice as I'm not a gun smith or M&P expert.  I just had a similar issue.  Mine had an APEX CAEK kit in it, just for info.

Is your Apex kit a FSS? If so, it is not uncommon for the timing to be slightly off to cause intermittent light primer strikes. One easy way to test to see if the timing is off is to simply take the striker block out of the gun temporarily. If the light strikes go away, you know it's a timing issue (see below for fix).

--------------

The gap on your trigger bar loop (candy cane) is opened too far. This allows the striker to be released prior to the striker block clearing. This robs the striker of a significant amount of energy, resulting in light primer strikers. 

To fix it, reduce the size of the gap on the trigger bar loop. This will fix your timing issue and allow the striker block to fully clear before the striker is released.

If you have another M&P, that you know works fine, go dry fire it. It will make a crisp clicking/snapping when dry fired. A gun with incorrect timing will make more of a dull thud noise when dry fired (depending on how off the timing is).

Essentially, you are doing the OPPOSITE of this:

Edited by Avedis

I had the exact same issue, with the exact same gun.  The issue isn't ammo related.

Took it apart, reassembled it, added a stronger trigger return spring, and it started working perfectly afterwards.  Not sure if the trigger return spring did anything, or if whatever wasn't perfect the first time was corrected in the reassembly, but it works as it should now.  

• 2 weeks later...

This 

On 2/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, Avedis said:

Is your Apex kit a FSS? If so, it is not uncommon for the timing to be slightly off to cause intermittent light primer strikes. One easy way to test to see if the timing is off is to simply take the striker block out of the gun temporarily. If the light strikes go away, you know it's a timing issue (see below for fix).

--------------

The gap on your trigger bar loop (candy cane) is opened too far. This allows the striker to be released prior to the striker block clearing. This robs the striker of a significant amount of energy, resulting in light primer strikers. 

To fix it, reduce the size of the gap on the trigger bar loop. This will fix your timing issue and allow the striker block to fully clear before the striker is released.

If you have another M&P, that you know works fine, go dry fire it. It will make a crisp clicking/snapping when dry fired. A gun with incorrect timing will make more of a dull thud noise when dry fired (depending on how off the timing is).

Essentially, you are doing the OPPOSITE of this:

this maybe why my m&p has light strikes after I put the Apex kits in 

• 2 months later...

I'm experiencing these now as well. I put in the Apex forward set sear flat faced trigger kit and I probably getabout 5- 6 light strikes every 100 rounds.

It has kept me from using it in any competitions this season. I guess I can try and squeeze the trigger bar loop but I have no idea how much/little this needs adjusting.

it bums me out as I am actually much faster with my 9L jpoint 8moa than I am with my CZ Shadow 2 with the venom 6moa.

I'm waiting for the Trijicon SRO to hit the streets and I'm torn which gun to put it on now. My S2 is a work horse that goes band everytime. the M&P?

it's questionable.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had this issue with my M&P.40Pro.  Worked fine for years with the standard trigger and he Apex sear.  After I installed the FSS kit it was having 2 or 3 light primer strikes each match.  Could never get the FSS kit to be reliable in my pistol. Went back to the original setup and have had no issues.  I chalked it up to my pistol is on the extreme end of the manufacturing tolerances and just won't work with a FSS kit.