Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How low is the best trigger on a Ruger Mark pistol

AzShooter

I just did a trigger job on my new Ruger Mark IV 22/445 lite with the Volquartsen Accessory Kit.  Easy to install now since I've done 5 pistols before.  My original trigger pull was 3 3/4 pounds.  The upgrade got it down to 1 pound 3 ounces.  Same as my other backup gun, a Mark III with TacSol barrel.

Is this too light for Steel Challenge?

How light would you go?

With new frame Mark IV for posting.jpg

My MkIV Target started out with about a 6 pound trigger pull and the VQ kit reduced it to just under 3 pounds so my upgrade reduced it by about the same percentage as yours but not as light.

As to whether 1-1/2 pounds is too light for steel challenge, I'd not want it that light for my own use but perhaps you have no problems with it.  I like the 3 pounds I have now.

On 2/10/2019 at 12:07 AM, AzShooter said:

I just did a trigger job on my new Ruger Mark IV 22/445 lite with the Volquartsen Accessory Kit.  Easy to install now since I've done 5 pistols before.  My original trigger pull was 3 3/4 pounds.  The upgrade got it down to 1 pound 3 ounces.  Same as my other backup gun, a Mark III with TacSol barrel.

How light would you go?

Can you please post the links to the parts you used? 

On 2/9/2019 at 11:07 PM, AzShooter said:

How light would you go?

Only you can answer that question.

The answer will be pretty obvious if you have an ND. If that never happens, then question if you are being too timid on the trigger because you're worried about one.

Then find the weight at which that timidity leaves your mindset.

Some do not have a problem with 1/2 lb triggers on action platforms (ie not benchrest).

If you're part of that latter group, then rejoice! Your awesome light trigger is totally fine.

Bottom line, if you feel like the hesitancy is slowing you down, then don't.  :) 

Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

I'd want to drop test it to see if it could fire.  of course, actually DROPPING it wouldn't be good!  is there some shock test like whacking it with a rubber mallet? I dunno.

I wouldn't be concerened at 1 1/2#.

But my center fire da/sa guns are about there in sa.

My MK 3 is at 2.5lb. I only have the volq sear and trigger with factory hammer. I wonder if the hammer would make it lighter/smoother. I don't have a problem with the weight, but the break is a little tough.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My Mark III Hunter is at 20 oz. after the Volquartsen and Tandemkross parts upgrade. 

I shoot steel with it, and I have never had a problem - YET!  If I ever do, I may try to bump the poundage up a little, but I really like that trigger as it is right now!  

On 2/9/2019 at 9:07 PM, AzShooter said:

How light would you go?

Nice looking gun.

I have a Volquartsen trigger kit in two of my Ruger MK III's. The trigger pull is 1 1/2 pounds and this suits me fine sine I am used to it and do very well them it in steel and bowling pin matches. I guess I am used to it since my 38 super open gun has a trigger pull of 1 1/2 pounds- have been shooting it for many years.

You do have to be careful thought about keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire.