Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dodged the (Stuck) Bullet Anecdote

Jim Watson

A shooter at GSSF Indoor today stuck a bullet in his Glock 17 barrel, racked in another round and blew it out.

So how did he dodge the bullet?
Both bullets scored on paper.  Lucky.

The barrel was not bulged.  VERY Lucky. 

My theory is that the bullet was stuck just ahead of the chamber and that the next round's bullet nose was right up against the stuck bullet's base.

Therefore the shot PUSHED the stuck bullet out without a "running start" to slam into the stuck bullet. 

Also there was none of the air compression that one writer blames bulged barrels on. 

Any other thoughts? 

He was probably running a low power load as well, which would keep chamber pressures down.   Full size Glock's also have very stout barrels.   Glock tells officers who experience a squib to just shoot it out, which wouldn't do much good if it blew up the gun. 

I have run hundreds of rounds of Hirtenberger L7A1 through my stock gen 3 Glock 17 barrel. That is some of the hottest 9mm you can buy. 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Don't try this   ^^^^^^^^^  at home, folks.

There was a very limited amount of L7A1 ever released for purchase, so I wouldn't worry about anyone doing it these days. 

I chronoed the L7A1, but sadly the phone that data was on died suddenly.  It easily made major power factor out of my Glock 17 open gun. 

When the second bullet neared the first the pressure between the two was enough to get the first bullet moving down the barrel along with the second bullet. Sometimes you'll see a small bulge in the barrel where the two rounds neared one another because of the extreme pressure created. Tell your friend to look for a ring inside the barrel.

This is what happens when bullets collide and the whole thing doesn't blow up:

Image result for multiple squibs

Edited by 4n2t0

On 2/9/2019 at 3:55 PM, chevrofreak said:

Glock tells officers who experience a squib to just shoot it out, which wouldn't do much good if it blew up the gun. 

That would leave them open to liability and replacing the gun.

That's just plain stupid!

Edited by RePete

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, chevrofreak said:

Glock tells officers who experience a squib to just shoot it out, which wouldn't do much good if it blew up the gun. 

That is what they tell cops who would be better off to risk their barrel than to be disarmed in a gunfight.

What they tell you and me is: 

"In case of a failure to fire, continue to hold your GLOCK pistol pointed towards the target for at least 30 seconds."

6 hours ago, RePete said:

But we are talking about games

20 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Glock tells officers who experience a squib to just shoot it out

I don't think anyone would tell a gamer to shoot out a squib. Let's hope not! Let's also hope there isn't a gamer who would do it even if they were told it's OK. Especially with a Glock where you can field strip it in, like, 2 seconds max and then just pound the squib out.

Is it pretty obvious when you have a squib? I've never had one and always worry a little that I wouldn't notice if I was blazing through a stage.

I'm pretty careful when I reload, but you never know I guess.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jschweg said:

Is it pretty obvious when you have a squib? I've never had one and always worry a little that I wouldn't notice if I was blazing through a stage.

I'm pretty careful when I reload, but you never know I guess.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It has a very distinct sound and feel but it can be hard to stop when you're juiced and going full speed. Sometimes it can be misinterpreted as a general malfunction by less experienced shooters so you get the inevitable tap, rack, boom. 

Edited by 4n2t0

On 2/9/2019 at 2:55 PM, chevrofreak said:

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/02/12/results-squib-explosion-glock-35-pistol/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2019-02-16&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter