Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
mwx40x40

2x4 protectors??

Any Steel Challenge clubs out there using 2x4 protectors such as the ones sold by AtlasTarget Works, or Shooting Targets 7?

l know we might get some complaints about the sound feedback. We seem to be spending a lot of time and money replacing 2x4’s and hoping this will help. I’m thinking if installed with rubber insulators it will help dampen the sound when hit.

of course if you are listening for feedback or watching bullet splats, you will never shoot steel at a high level😳

We don't use protectors, because we have shooters of all levels.  Many do listen for the ding.  Some request the hits be called.  They last a pretty long time.  When they are shot up enough that I don't trust them, I put them aside.  I cut off the damaged section and use them as targets in the 2x4 shoots.  That really draws the crowds.

BTW, you always listen for the ding, you just don't wait for it.  You call your shot, move to the next target and the ding just confirms you were right on your call.

Some are using stands and plate holders that present the 2inch side of a 2x4 to the shooter... does cut down on the hits on wood... 

On 2/11/2019 at 10:54 AM, xpierrat said:

Some are using stands and plate holders that present the 2inch side of a 2x4 to the shooter... does cut down on the hits on wood... 

We already run that orientation and still loose one to three per month. Appreciate the input though

On 2/8/2019 at 4:55 PM, mwx40x40 said:

Any Steel Challenge clubs out there using 2x4 protectors such as the ones sold by AtlasTarget Works, or Shooting Targets 7?

l know we might get some complaints about the sound feedback. We seem to be spending a lot of time and money replacing 2x4’s and hoping this will help. I’m thinking if installed with rubber insulators it will help dampen the sound when hit.

of course if you are listening for feedback or watching bullet splats, you will never shoot steel at a high level😳

I know that Grizzly Targets has or is coming out with a galvanized 2x4 replacement at different heights. I saw them sitting around when I visited their factory the other day.  They also had new steel targets that "floated" on springs to absorb heavier impact rounds.