Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Ignition Kit for Competition?

rootacres

Hello All, I acquired a RO Elite in 9mm that I intend on using for single stack. It appears the lowest I am able to get the factory trigger down to with a 17lb main spring is just north of 3lbs. What kit are you all using to get the pull weights down to that 2lb range while maintaining a decent level of reliability?

I dropped a Cylinder and Slide ultra match kit into an STI edge. It’s listed as 3.5 lbs but is definitely closer to 2. Excellent crisp break but not great reset. I also have a drop in pro-match kit from Nowlin. The Nowlin is a hair heavier, probably close to 3, but has less overall movement and much better reset. Of the two I’d go Nowlin if I was buying again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have an RO 1911 that I installed the EGW ignition kit. I also run the EGW kit on my 1911 R1Limited and both 1911’s trigger pull is just over 2lbs.

Best trigger pull and reset to ignition kit IMO. 

E46586E0-883B-4BB4-910B-9AA149832AFF.jpeg

If your msh is still ILS you will never get a good trigger pull.  Convert it to standard 1911 (about $15).  Use a 19 lb ISMI mainspring in it and use a new colt sear spring, otherwise you will have light strikes if you are still using the SA Ti firing pin.  You should have zero trouble getting a 2 lb pull.  I do recommend replacing the Elite's fire control group.  It is gritty and takes a long time to smooth out.

Next, be careful which trigger kit you get or you may have to replace and fit a new thumb safety.  Fortunately, the sear is not the most expensive part, so if you get it wrong you can always buy a 'bigger' sear.

I've always had really good luck with the EGW kit.  I have also had good luck with the Cylinder & Slide/Extreme Engineering kit.  Brazos tunes his kit for STI 2011s.  Personally, I always start with an EGW kit.  If and when the thumb safety no longer works because of dry fire and lots of shooting, replace the EGW sear with an Extreme Engineering Ultra Low Mass Sear and it will work again.  If you wear it out again, use a Harrison Consulting TR sear and you'll be good to go.  If it turn out you have to fit a new TS, IMO EGW's ambi safety is the best.

I’d pick up the Brazos kit. He cuts the angles on the sear and hammer, puts it in the gun and puts the proper tension on the leaf spring. It basically drops right in. I have two, one dropped right into my open gun, the second needed the lug on the safety to but slightly fitted. Brazos parts are actually extreme engineeing parts, so super high quality. Both gave me a 1.5lb super crisp trigger. 

And the hammer sear are extra meaty, so you won’t have to replace the safety. When youre replacing a trigger group, vs building from scratch the safety lugs has already been fitted to a hammer/sear, material has been removed etc, new parts without a lot of extra meat will be to small, and a new safety will be needed to get proper lug engagement. But the exteme put some extra meat on them for this reason. Highly recommend it. 

normaly you have to adjust the searspring to go to a light pull. tolerances between frame,parts and MSH will result in different tension on the searspring

most of the time you have to cut the secundairy angle on the sear to get the trigger to break like glas.

if you want to have a great trigger you can do some magic with polishing and adjusting some angles/corners but that is more for people who know what they are doing

In my 9mm Springfield loaded I installed a 17lb mainspring, dawson mainspring/magwell, STI trigger, and an EE race disco. My slide was hanging up on the factory disco and dropping in the EE was easier than working on the factory one. After that I polished all internal/contact surfaces with a cotton wheel via dremel. Make sure your mainspring plunger is not dragging in the MSH, if it is you can sand/polish the inside of it. Brownells sells a reamer specifically for it, but I just used a dowel wrapped in sandpaper, chuck in your drill and go. I lightened the left leg of the sear spring slightly and was done. On a lyman gauge I'm at 2lbs 10-12oz trigger pull. It could break better, but I'm not messing with sear angle and it is fine where it is.

I haven't personally installed the Brazos kit, but I've felt several and was impressed by all of them. If/when I get another kit I believe that would be my first choice. 

On 2/13/2019 at 12:02 AM, Rosswoodford said:

+1 for this. My single stack and 2011 both have this. Wouldn’t go another direction. Not that there’s anything wrong with EGW or Brazos.

Brazos is extreme engineering. He just takes the parts and cuts the angles on the sear and hammer hooks and then puts it in a gun to make sure it works. It’s good for all us people who don’t know how to do it. 

3 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Brazos is extreme engineering. He just takes the parts and cuts the angles on the sear and hammer hooks and then puts it in a gun to make sure it works. It’s good for all us people who don’t know how to do it. 

I was unaware of that. The more you know!

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2019 at 10:58 AM, Jfitz427 said:

Are you sure about that?  Why would he label it something different on his website and then offer it in multiple other places?

9 hours ago, assaulter said:

Are you sure about that?  Why would he label it something different on his website and then offer it in multiple other places?

Ya I’m positive. Not sure why he calls them “quicksilver”. But the hammer and sear are extreme engineering.