Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC - Bolt Catch Required?

I recently built a second rifle for PCC...  I didn't have a bolt catch and got to thinking...  Since my rifle is short stroked and won't lock back anyway...  Why bother to run a bolt catch at all?  I've put a few rounds through it and it shoots fine without a bolt catch...  Now I'm wondering if that might be a mistake. 

Does the bolt catch serve any purpose other than locking back the bolt?

54 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

And at wrong time too!!....leave it out. No stage in USPSA will ever have you start with the bolt locked back as the equipment rules do not require that the bolt be able to lock back.

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

I recently built a second rifle for PCC...  I didn't have a bolt catch and got to thinking...  Since my rifle is short stroked and won't lock back anyway...  Why bother to run a bolt catch at all?  I've put a few rounds through it and it shoots fine without a bolt catch...  Now I'm wondering if that might be a mistake. 

Don’t need it, my gibbz lower doesn’t even have one. 

On 2/8/2019 at 8:49 PM, Startingover said:

I kinda like having it. 

My buffer setup is just at the point that I can barely get it to lock open if I pull hard.

Mine has a tendency to skip over the bolt catch.  I only like it when I'm loading a mag at the beginning of a stage.  If I have a full mag, sometimes it doesn't seat properly when I insert it on a closed bolt.  It seems like the bolt catch skip has increased as I've put more rounds down range.  Maybe it's wearing in an odd place or angle?

19 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

If you can't lock the bolt back how do you chamber flag - without a 3rd hand?

with a sidecharger, you press it up against your hip and pull back with one hand and put the flag in with the other.  I imagine it would be similar with a standard charged upper, albeit a little more awkward...or you have to ask for help from the RO

with a sidecharger, you press it up against your hip and pull back with one hand and put the flag in with the other.  I imagine it would be similar with a standard charged upper, albeit a little more awkward...or you have to ask for help from the RO

That’s what I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think RO should help. Holding the flag while they shoot is one thing. Helping them clear the gun is another.
I don't really see a problem with it. I never ask for help, but I don't turn it down if they offer to hold my flag or put it in the chamber for me after I clear the gun.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Chillywig said:

If you can't lock the bolt back how do you chamber flag - without a 3rd hand?

16 hours ago, Halo09 said:

Similar...  I press the stock against my leg and pull back on the charging handle...  slide the flag in with my right hand...  slide the charging handle forward...  tilt the rifle up...  good to go...

Occasionally an RO will offer to grab the flag...  I decline...  I'm used to doing it myself.

Edited by RaylanGivens
7 hours ago, Sarge said:

I don’t think RO should help. Holding the flag while they shoot is one thing. Helping them clear the gun is another.

Some RO's like to help, some refuse.

It usually boils down to their feelings on PCC being in USPSA.

I don't care either way but when I run a PCC guy I always hold the flag, and put it back in. Over a long day it saves real time.

Do we help pistol shooters clear their guns? Aside from giving range commands, no. Like I said putting a flag in a gun is the shooters responsibility. I'm not taking the chance of being blamed if he sweeps somebody while I'm helping. If a shooter can't figure out how to flag a carbine then maybe they should not be shooting it. I don't make a big "I hate PCC deal out of it" but I do brief squads at majors that I will gladly hold their flag but will not put it in the gun when finished. They don't object so they must know its really their responsibility.

Do we help pistol shooters clear their guns? Aside from giving range commands, no. Like I said putting a flag in a gun is the shooters responsibility. I'm not taking the chance of being blamed if he sweeps somebody while I'm helping. If a shooter can't figure out how to flag a carbine then maybe they should not be shooting it. I don't make a big "I hate PCC deal out of it" but I do brief squads at majors that I will gladly hold their flag but will not put it in the gun when finished. They don't object so they must know its really their responsibility.
I think you're making a huge deal out of nothing, but not helping when you RO is your prerogative.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I once helped a guy with their chamber flag. It snapped in 2 when he let the bolt slide forward and tried to blame me. It is faster for the RO to help if everyone is used to the process. If not then it can slow things down. Briefing the squad beforehand is a great way to set expectations. Helps with more than just clearing firearms.