Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wide tracks

Wondering if anyone has run any tests to see how best to transition from one target to another 150deg apart or more I.e. really long / wide track. Pistol wise it was better to pull the pistol into high ready then punch out again. For PCC wondering if it’s better to drop rifle barrel down (still shouldered) then raise again on new target or to swing across the complete length.

Will test this weekend but interested to know if anyone has figured it out or has a fixed opinion

I prefer to drop the muzzle about 45 degrees on long transitions whether I shift my feet or not. For me it’s easier to decelerate into the next target coming into it diagonally as opposed to from the side. I tend to overshoot the next target more if I don’t drop the muzzle some. That’s just me though, I’m sure everyone is different. Try both on the timer and see what works for you.

In steel challenge......when your feet are planted, we are swinging straight across. So you if are not moving, swing straight.....bring the sight into your line of sight. I am assuming that you are already on the next target with your eyes before the sight comes in to the picture.

I find it faster to keep gun up and take a step into really big transitions. Step with the foot you are starting from, if going from right to left, step with right foot to help get around and keep gun in center of body instead of getting twisted up and shooting across your body. Similar going left to right, lead with moving left foot forward so you get more squared to target. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2019 at 3:48 PM, HoMiE said:

I find it faster to keep gun up and take a step into really big transitions. Step with the foot you are starting from, if going from right to left, step with right foot to help get around and keep gun in center of body instead of getting twisted up and shooting across your body. Similar going left to right, lead with moving left foot forward so you get more squared to target. 

On 2/7/2019 at 3:40 PM, Tampa-XD45 said:

In USPSA, you want to keep the rifle up near your shooting shoulder. 

Watch some of the champ's videos for a good view:  https://www.instagram.com/maxamundi/

I notice that Max pulls his rifle up and over his right shoulder during longer transitions...  If it's a short transition he'll hop a step or two to the right without moving the rifle, but anything longer and he hikes the rifle above his shoulder and runs.

I've tried hiking the rifle above my shoulder and it isn't natural for me...  But it does seem to allow faster acquisition of the next target...  Not having to swing the rifle up...  Just pushing out seems to be quicker that pulling the rifle up and reacquiring the shoulder placement again.

Is practicing/learning to hike the rifle over your shoulder during transitions worthwhile?

4 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I notice that Max pulls his rifle up and over his right shoulder during longer transitions...  If it's a short transition he'll hop a step or two to the right without moving the rifle, but anything longer and he hikes the rifle above his shoulder and runs.

I've tried hiking the rifle above my shoulder and it isn't natural for me...  But it does seem to allow faster acquisition of the next target...  Not having to swing the rifle up...  Just pushing out seems to be quicker that pulling the rifle up and reacquiring the shoulder placement again.

Is practicing/learning to hike the rifle over your shoulder during transitions worthwhile?

Transitions or positions? If I understand opening question, sounds like what is best way to shoot from one position 2 targets that are 150° apart.

I think what Max is doing by bringing rifle over shoulder is to help use his arms to pump and get moving faster. Short distance, keep both hands on gun. Farther running, drops support hand and runs harder.