Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 primer tube jammed!

Maybe some day I'll learn to love the new XL 650 but not there yet. I'll skip all the aggravation to date and get to the current issue.

Finally got the press to the point I thought it was working OK, testing small batches of loads, turning the case feeder on and off so only load about twenty cases at a time, same with the primers. Loaded up about 25 small pistol primers in the pick up tube and went to load the primmer feed. Have a 45 cal case on the end of the feed rod, rod in the end of the pick-up tube, pull the cotter pin to drop the primers in the tube and the rod only drops about half way down. WTF Ended up dismantling the plate and primer system AGAIN, completely dismantled the primer system, dumped the primers out and dropped the feeder rod down the tube to measure, halfway down the tube. Try from the other direction, same length. Primmer is lodged right in the middle of the primmer feed tube and not moving. Spend twenty plus minutes trying to use the primer rod and rapping the tube on the work bench to dislodge it and no way. I now have NO primmer supply tube and the press is completely shut down. Pretty pi$$ed right now. Have to order a new primer feed tube and wait as out of options to get the jammed primer out of the tube.

Winchester small pistol primers.

I sort my brass and previously only loaded Federal brass and Federal primers. Stock piled all the other brass. Now have lots of non-Federal brass and running low on Federal so using the mixed brass and Winchester primers to run my test loads on the new XL 650. For a LONG time could NOT get Federal primers so forced to buy Winchester primers and have thousands I don't normally use.

Sent an e-mail to Dillon regarding the primmer supply tube but in the mean time I'm totally shut down.

Have hundreds of rounds of my normal recipe loaded for my normal USPSA gun but I just switched over to custom CZ Shadow2 and it it will NOT chamber those loads. Different thread. Finally have COAL and CBTO worked out, press calibrated and ready to crank and now this.

In ManySnowTa, just came off -36 degrees week, plowed 9" of snow from drive, 8" more forecast tomorrow and more sub zero. Thought I could use the time to crank ammo but ........

12 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Is there any safe way to force the primer out, say a welding rod well pointed away from you in case the primer pops?

Just don’t damage inside of magazine tube. 

NO! Just call Dillon and tell them you have primers stuck in a tube and they will tell you how to dispose of it and send you a new one.

There is a good reloading store on the SW side of the Twin Cities. Gunstop Reloading in Minnetonka. I bet they'd have one for you.

I have used many 1000's of WSPP's in 650 with nary an issue, FWIW.

Edited by jejb

5 minutes ago, jejb said:

There is a good reloading store on the SW side of the Twin Cities. Gunstop Reloading in Minnetonka. I bet they'd have one for you.

I have used many 1000's of WSPP's in 650 with nary an issue, FWIW.

For free? Dillon will send one free. That's awesome if a retailer would do that as well.

Sent an e-mail to Dillon last night explaining the primer situation. Now we get to see how long until I get a replacement. Looks like time to hand load some rifle rounds on the single stage.

(found this response hiding behind other open windows, thought I hit send earlier this morning)

jejb:  GunStop has L-O-T-S of my money. It's a 42 mile drive each way but I make a point to buy from the local small shops when ever I can. Bought the 650 from Gunstop and walked out $1,400 later.

15 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Sounds like  Winchester primers.

I use both WSP and Federal and the most issues for size come from WSP. Just had a primer jam today in my 1050 and had to take apart the whole mechanism, clean and inspect it.

The life of loading.

I ran 5,000 winchesters through my 650 without any issues. They often tend to be slightly ovaled - they’re more likely to crush going into a round hole, or jam my vibraprime - but the press itself fed them flawlessly.

That said, CCIs are where it’s at if you don’t have  a gun setup with really light hammer/striker springs. Fairly cheap. Dead nuts round. Feed like federals, but much harder to set off in the press. Easy to find. 100% reliable if your gun hits hard like a stock one would.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Just received an e-mail response from Dillion, they will be sending a replacement tube under warranty. Not sure how long that will take.

Frustrating part is I have hundreds of rounds of 147gr FP loaded at 1.089 COAL for my M&P Pro Core CO gun which will not load in the CZ. Ended up 1.056 is what passes the plunk test. This means I'm seating my bullets.033 deeper in the case which means my old loading recipes won't work. Loaded my first (30) rounds of 4.0 Power Pistol and was going to load batches at 4.1, 4.2 etc and test them this Friday as Fridays are the only day I can go to the range. Guess I'm doing something else this Friday

2 hours ago, DIYguy said:

Just received an e-mail response from Dillion, they will be sending a replacement tube under warranty. Not sure how long that will take.

Frustrating part is I have hundreds of rounds of 147gr FP loaded at 1.089 COAL for my M&P Pro Core CO gun which will not load in the CZ. Ended up 1.056 is what passes the plunk test. This means I'm seating my bullets.033 deeper in the case which means my old loading recipes won't work. Loaded my first (30) rounds of 4.0 Power Pistol and was going to load batches at 4.1, 4.2 etc and test them this Friday as Fridays are the only day I can go to the range. Guess I'm doing something else this Friday

I’ve reseated rounds to a shorter oal several time with no problems,as long as they aren’t crimped I usually just remove the bell when loading.

Depending on bullet and crimp you MAY be able to reseat the loaded rounds to your desired OAL.

IT'll be a PITA having to hand feed them into the seating station but MAY get you some more rounds to shoot Friday.

Thanks for the input. I spent a LOT of time initially working on the right recipe for my 147gr loads and ended up with 4.5gr of Power Pistol. That's with a bullet seating depth of .245 and a Power Factor of 138 to 143. Velocity equals 955 to 975. Increasing the seating depth by .033 is more than double the BSD so dropping my charge and working my way back up. I wanted to test the different loads for velocity and accuracy before I start loading quantity.

21 hours ago, DIYguy said:

jejb:  GunStop has L-O-T-S of my money. It's a 42 mile drive each way but I make a point to buy from the local small shops when ever I can. Bought the 650 from Gunstop and walked out $1,400 later.

Figured you'd know about them. But it seemed like you were in a hurry to get your loading done, so figured I'd mention it as an alternative. Not a free one though, of course.

My son lives up in Andover with his family, so I've hit GunStop a couple of times while in the area. Sure wish we had something like that around here. Awesome inventory of reloading stuff.

Man that is some rough luck.   I use Winchester wsp almost exclusively now.  30,000 at least thru my 650, and I’ve never had that happen.  I don’t clean my primer feed tube as often as I should either. I have had them turn and stick in my pickup tubes occasionally when the plastic pick tip gets a little worn.   Hopefully the new feed tube will fix you up.   

I think the tube itself may be the same. Tips are different - but the priming system is completely different between the 550 and 650. 650 uses a rotary disk priming system. Took me a while to get the hang of it coming from the 550. Get yourself the primer feed stop switch mod. It's super helpful.

1 hour ago, DIYguy said:

Getting curious how Dillon shipped the replacement primer tube. E-mail on last Friday said they were shipping it and still haven't received it yet. ??

When I order parts, online or via a call, they always send a confirmation and when shipped a tracking number. Usually it has been through the USPS Priority/First Class. 

If you’ve ordered from Dillon in the past check on line, if not call them.