Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Gen2 2011 grips,available?

mannyc

My Son inquired as to when the new Gen2, factory stock grip would be available for his new Staccato-P that came with the Costa/tree bark grip......received email from factory that they were still in "production" and he would send him one as soon as they were available.

Pignato stated recently they decided to make some changes/updates after the feedback they received from SHOT Show.

25 minutes ago, AWLAZS said:

Are they plastic?

Most companies refer to the grips as "polymer"...........

Brownells description of the older Gen1 grip:  https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/2011-modular-grips-prod24672.aspx

Lightweight, one-piece, fiber-reinforced nylon composite grip assembly provides a drop-in fit on all STI 2011 modular frames. Keeps overall pistol weight to an absolute minimum. Checkering on the side panels, front strap, and triggerguard ensures a positive gripping surface when hands get sweaty.

Edited by HOGRIDER

4 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

My Son inquired as to when the new Gen2, factory stock grip would be available for his new Staccato-P that came with the Costa/tree bark grip......received email from factory that they were still in "production" and he would send him one as soon as they were available.

Pignato stated recently they decided to make some changes/updates after the feedback they received from SHOT Show.

At SHOT they said they were getting a very wide response to them. I liked them but then I'm not one who wants to feel like I'm holding a cheese grater. It will be interesting to see teh changes.

I like the look of the new one in the DVC open. I just bought one of the extreme shooters DVC grip to put on my open gun. I thought it looked much better then the regular polymer grip. Idk why sti doesn’t develop their own metal grip. Could have used the same design as this new one, just metal. They did it in the past, although they had problems with them cracking prematurely. But if all these other companies can do it, and everyone is ditching the stock plastic grip for metal they might as well listen to the market. Plastic grips are out, except for people like me who don’t have 600 bucks to spend on a grip. 

6 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I like the look of the new one in the DVC open. I just bought one of the extreme shooters DVC grip to put on my open gun. I thought it looked much better then the regular polymer grip. Idk why sti doesn’t develop their own metal grip. Could have used the same design as this new one, just metal. They did it in the past, although they had problems with them cracking prematurely. But if all these other companies can do it, and everyone is ditching the stock plastic grip for metal they might as well listen to the market. Plastic grips are out, except for people like me who don’t have 600 bucks to spend on a grip. 

I'm not convinced that the extra weight is of a metal grip is beneficial. I'd like to try a one in aluminum or better yet titanium but thats crazy money. Don't think I have got to the point of out shooting the plastic grips.

3 hours ago, tkane said:

I'm not convinced that the extra weight is of a metal grip is beneficial. I'd like to try a one in aluminum or better yet titanium but thats crazy money. Don't think I have got to the point of out shooting the plastic grips.

anything will work really, one way is more enjoyable IMO.

15 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Some people don’t like really heavy guns. 

• 2 weeks later...

My Staccato P is shipping tomorrow with the Costa/ Tree Bark grip.  If I change it anytime soon, it will be for the DVC grip.  But I'll spend some time with the Costa before jumping to anything else.

Supposed to ship the stock grip when they're available; but I'm not expecting to swap it anytime soon!

• 1 month later...

So I'm confused here. The new Staccatos are being shipped with the old style stippled grip. I saw posts elsewhere that this is a $200 upgrade which doesn't make sense unless the new Gen II grip was less expensive.

There are guns out there with the new style so I'm guessing they are available. Was there bad feedback on these? Is STI going to send you a new Gen II to replace your Costa/Tree Bark without charge?

Thanks folks and sorry if this is confusing. I'm trying to understand what is occurring. I thought the Gen II grips would be different from my current ones and I wanted them. Mistake?

What's STI doing here?

Edited by mikbay