Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you were to buy a frame, slide, and barrel question...

RGC

So I have contacted a contributor here....to fit the aforementioned....

Question is, if it were you, what combo would you buy?

Musts:

Barrel bushing required..

USPSA/IPSC compliant

Id buy Kuhnhausens book and do it my self... Which is exactly what I did.. First 1911 I owned was one I built myself. 
If I wasnt building myself, too many good ready to go 1911's out there to go through the trouble and expense of buying parts only to have them shipped out to a builder. Also you end up buying parts the builder doesnt want.. Most have brand preferences for one reason or another.
So if you are hiring a builder,, give the finished product specs you want and let HIM/HER decide what brand of parts.

The frame is easy, JEM Guns.  If still available, JEM Guns for the slide.  If you buy both from JEM, Ed will machine fit the slide and frame to an interference fit for $30.  If you want it burnished in to final fit, another $30.  Barrels would be Kart or Barsto.  If you will be shooting lead, the Kart is the best.  Barsto barrels are broached, so you have to run at least 500 jacketed through them first.

Caspian slide if you can't get a JEM.

Edited by zzt

Wow this is a timely question since I am building a 2011 for fun. First I agree with Joe4d 100%. Unless you want to domit all either get one off the shelf or have your builder buy their preferred components.

I got a CK frame and slide and Still trying to decide on barrel. The frame and grip design on the 2011 threw me a bit (yeah I know time change and get with it) but thats where I’m at....oh no barrel bushing

For a 1911 I would buy Capian frame and slide and a Bar-Sto barrel as I built a few of those way back when and they were fantastic then and doubt they got worse as technology got better....and that gives you your bushing.

I've used CK (2011), STI (2011), Pheonix Trinity (2011), JEM (1911), and Caspian (1911) frames. 

For 2011 I like the CK. The PT have nice machining but require a little more work than the CK and cost a little more. Recently the STI quality control has been poor. So i stay away from them.

For 1911 Caspian all the way. Good quality machining and price. With the JEM to get parts to fit, it requires a lot of extra machining over the Caspian.  So I now stay away due to the extra work involved, but quality of machining is good. 

Slides, I like Caspian the best. The CK is good. JEM needed the extra fitting for the parts but machining is good. Sti I stay away from for the same reason as the frame!

Barrel, I like KKM. Easy to fit and shoot well. Add in an EGW bushing!

I like to order from Shooters Connection.  But you can order Caspian or JEM direct. And have them fit the slide to frame.

Edited by Stymie12000

S, I've had just the opposite with JEM.   For 1911s if you order the JEM GS and MSH (or get them from EGW, there is no fitting.  You can blend in a couple of minutes with nothing more than an emory strip.  As far as the JEM slides go, I just put one on a 2011.  I had JEM machine fit the slide.  I deburred everything and literally assembled the complete slide in under 5 minutes.  The only thing I had to revisit was the FP stop.  The Cheely ejector is taller than 'normal' so I had to take a bit off the Cheely FP stop to let it clear.

I like Caspian slides; not so much their frames.  I had to sent a 1911 receiver and slide back because the slide to frame fit was so loose you could throw the slide on from across the room.  I sent a Hi-cap receiver back because it was so misshapen there was no possibility of blending anything.

You didn't specify a caliber, but whichever you choose you can't go wrong with a Caspian slide and frame. They can fit it for you as well as any type of checkering and slide serrations you want.

As for barrels, if you were looking to go .45 You can get a Clark drop in and be 2MoA accurate with it and little to no fitting. (They'll also fit it for you for free) They also make ramped 9/.38 barrels and again will fit them for you.

I have also had Briley and Nowlin barrels and both are outstanding.

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2019 at 9:02 AM, zzt said:

The frame is easy, JEM Guns.  If still available, JEM Guns for the slide.  If you buy both from JEM, Ed will machine fit the slide and frame to an interference fit for $30.  If you want it burnished in to final fit, another $30.  Barrels would be Kart or Barsto.  If you will be shooting lead, the Kart is the best.  Barsto barrels are broached, so you have to run at least 500 jacketed through them first.

Caspian slide if you can't get a JEM.

I agree.  JEM make the best frame

Personally, I'd get a short block kit. A bunch of the hard stuff is already done, but you still get the fun of finishing a gun.

I really like Warwick Tactical's guns, and am planning on ordering a short block to have a local smith build out as I want it.

Good luck either way and let us know what you do.

A short block is a good idea if you want to do the rest of the stuff yourself.  Since the OP is having someone else do the fitting, it doesn't matter.  Just be sure to pick a frame and slide that are compatible.  Not everyone uses the same dimensions.  You want to be sure you can remove metal to get it fit, not add metal.