Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black tape for painted targets question.

Jay63

I paint the targets for our club matches. To make crisp straight lines I use Black Duct Tape. A friend is tasked with painting the targets for an upcoming area match. The MD does not want to use duct tape because it flexes to much. What tape do you guys use for Sectional and Area match targets.

Thanks

Jay

Sarge,

I normally use spray paint. I also use 2" wide tape because of the over spray. The tape you directed me to is 1" wide. Because of that width I think rolling the paint although more labor intensive would leave a crisp looking target. That was my thought thinking about the sharpie and how thin the line would be.

Jay

5 hours ago, Jay63 said:

I paint the targets for our club matches. To make crisp straight lines I use Black Duct Tape. A friend is tasked with painting the targets for an upcoming area match. The MD does not want to use duct tape because it flexes to much. What tape do you guys use for Sectional and Area match targets.

Thanks

Jay

Flexes too much in what way?  I've never made targets, but it seems like it's going to stay where you put it.

44 minutes ago, Prov1x said:

Duct tape works fine and hasn't been an issue in the matches that I've run. It's pretty easy to define the hit in the tape, even if it's on the edge.

Duct tape has always been the least preferred  method. It does indeed stretch when hit. This makes calling edge hits less simple. Usually entails employing straight edge etc. it can be done though

I like to use a painters tape (something about 2" wide that can be pulled off targets without damaging them) and then pull the tape after painting so you end up with a clean line where the edge of the tape was. 

You can also buy the targets with the hardcover already on them (silk screened I think it is called). 

14 hours ago, Sarge said:

Rolling? Oh. What a mess. 

???

Never heard that before, sounds like technique. I did not help roll paint hardcover at the last level 2 where I saw it done but I asked the folks about it and the only feedback I got was that it was a heck of a lot faster. 

23 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Duct tape has always been the least preferred  method. It does indeed stretch when hit. This makes calling edge hits less simple. Usually entails employing straight edge etc. it can be done though

It's never been an issue for us, so can't say what is preferred and what's not because that's all we have ever used.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I use a thin cardboard type material and tape the lines when I do make partials and it’s crisp enough to not have to use black tape, but lately we just buy partials. The last time I painted them we did use black tape to make the line nice and crisp though. No right answer, just do what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...