Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Recoil, Main, and Firing Pin Springs

chaserracer

Noob 1911 question here, I just received my Springer Trophy Match and have begun the upgrade process. I went with the seemingly standard spring configuration of 14lb recoil and 19lb mainspring and was wondering if i should also change the firing pin spring to the one that came with the wolf recoil spring? Any help is much appreciated!

Firing pin spring has no bearing on trigger pull weight, or recoil feel. It's a safety item to keep the firing pin from striking a catridge if the gun is accedently dropped, or when the slide slams closed feeding another round. It should be changed whenever you put in a new recoil spring.

Edited by Postal Bob

7 hours ago, chaserracer said:

Noob 1911 question here, I just received my Springer Trophy Match and have begun the upgrade process. I went with the seemingly standard spring configuration of 14lb recoil and 19lb mainspring and was wondering if i should also change the firing pin spring to the one that came with the wolf recoil spring? Any help is much appreciated!

9mm?

2 hours ago, chaserracer said:

Its a .45

Just now, vgdvc said:

Ahh, spring setup makes more sense now.

If you want to change or try different recoil sensations you can drop one or two lbs with the recoil spring with a wolf variable pwr recoil spring, 17 pound mainspring and EGW square edged firing pin stop if you're comfortable with fitting one to your pistol. It will definitely give a different recoil impulse.

if the gun is going bang when you pull the trigger leave it alone. Makes no sense to just go changing stuff when you dont have the experience to know what effect those changes will have. Buy ammo, go shoot.

A 14 lb spring is fine as long as you are not shooting 230gr factory ammo, or anything close to that.  14 lbs is good for major PF (170).  A 19 lb mainspring will ignite any primer with a SS firing pin, but may not with the Ti firing pin that comes with the SA.  If your MSH came with the ILS system, you'll want to convert that.

Edited by zzt

1 hour ago, zzt said:

A 14 lb spring is fine as long as you are not shooting 230gr factory ammo, or anything close to that.  14 lbs is good for major PF (170).  A 19 lb mainspring will ignite any primer with a SS firing pin, but may not with the Ti firing pin that comes with the SA.  If your MSH came with the OLS system, you'll want to convert that.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the bag of Ti firing pins I have.