Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Planning to Shoot USPSA Limited (minor) with my Shadow 2

hey.moe

• 4 months later...

Update: I shot my Production gun in Limited for about four months and am now back to shooting it in Production. I think the switch was beneficial, as I seem to do better now at stage planning. I still have a ways to go before I’d consider it a skill I’ve properly mastered, but my progress there is allowing me to move on and work on other aspects of the game. 

I would combat the memory stage issue by finding a stage plan that you can’t mess up. Even if it causes you an extra reload or shooting position that is fine. A mediocre plan executed well is almost always better than a failed great plan.

After you build confidence and continue working on the memorize and visualize part of Steve’s strategy then you can work more complexity into your analyzing and strategizing.

7 hours ago, Tanders said:

You have any issues switching to hi-cap stage plans?

Just the opposite. Shooting Production I was struggling with just coming up with any plan that would get me through a “memory stage” without shooting a target twice or overlooking a target entirely.

Stage planning became much easier for me with more rounds in the mag, from the perspective of not limiting which targets I could afford to shoot from a given position, as well as having more opportunity for make-ups. I was able to finalize my plans sooner and spend more time visualizing and burning them in. 

10 minutes ago, OdinIII said:

I would combat the memory stage issue by finding a stage plan that you can’t mess up. 

That’s pretty much what the higher mag capacity of Limited allowed me to do.