Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA5 for 9 Major??

darthdively

hey all. i'm trying to use the powders that i have left. going to start to develop some loads with 124 gr RMR bullets FMJ or some blues with AA7. anyone got any suggested loads? shooting through a Tanfo open gun 6 inch V4.

i'm running towards the end of the AA7 before i try something like Sillouette or other suggested powders. any suggestions? AA7 mucks up my gun a lot :/ tanfo open guns dont like to run dirty

i have like 4 ot 5 lbs of AA5. anyone have any experience with this powder for 9mm Major? i can't find much on the interwebs about people using it or experience with it.

thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have not tried AA5, but looking at it's relative placement on several burn rate charts is enough to keep me from messing with it in a 9 major load - not worth it to me. I'd use the AA5 for minor loads.

AA7 is my favorite powder for 9major. Slow burn, (relatively) low case pressures with lots of gas to work comp & popples.  If it's too dirty for your gun to run reliably, that's definitely a problem.

How do you lubricate your gun (what & how much) ? Might try some variations with lube to see if you can get reliable operation with AA7. Maybe go lighter weight oil (i.e. try 0W-20 if you are currently running 5W-30).

thanks for the fast feedback.

lube: i'm using Lucas gun oil. not too much. the A7 cakes up bad on feed ramp and at trigger bar even places that i dont place any oil.

i often forget that burn rate doesnt necessarily correlate to performance in the form of pressure building it seems.

i saw that AA5 was close to the others mentioned so thought it would be worth trying. see pic (the colors represent the brand of powder, not danger level)

i would like to check out Silhouette sometime. i saw a couple people saying they like it. any of you have experience with that? i was also thinking about Shooters world. do you all like WAC alight or should i go for HS6? it seems HS6 is an often stated powder. i tried CFE out of my 38 supercomp V12 but hated it because it vibrated my teeth when i shot it.

any other advice or suggested neighborhood of start points with all the mentioned powders would be greatly appreciated too.

thanks all!eb8e4929cc63876e1feefe0e575343d8.jpg

1 hour ago, darthdively said:

thanks for the fast feedback.

lube: i'm using Lucas gun oil. not too much. the A7 cakes up bad on feed ramp and at trigger bar even places that i dont place any oil.

i often forget that burn rate doesnt necessarily correlate to performance in the form of pressure building it seems.

i saw that AA5 was close to the others mentioned so thought it would be worth trying. see pic (the colors represent the brand of powder, not danger level)

i would like to check out Silhouette sometime. i saw a couple people saying they like it. any of you have experience with that? i was also thinking about Shooters world. do you all like WAC alight or should i go for HS6? it seems HS6 is an often stated powder. i tried CFE out of my 38 supercomp V12 but hated it because it vibrated my teeth when i shot it.

any other advice or suggested neighborhood of start points with all the mentioned powders would be greatly appreciated too.

thanks all!eb8e4929cc63876e1feefe0e575343d8.jpg

I really like hs-6. But it’s also the only powder I’ve used for 9 major. But it shoots so well I’ve never felt the need to experiment with anything else. It didn’t fill the case up all the way either so it’s easy to load. Somewheee between 7.3-8g will make major with a 124g bullet. 8.3-9 for a 115. Tons of data out there on it from people on this forum. In my old open Glock with I think it was a 5.5 inch barrel 7.5 made major with a jacketed bullet, and 7.3 with coated lead. With my 5 inch trubor it takes more. 7.8 or so. Good stuff though. 

I have successfully used Power Pistol to make major PF with both a 115 and a 124.   That powder is significantly faster than AA5 according to burn rate charts.    You could try it, but you would need to start low and gradually work your way up.   If you do, I hope you know how to read a primer.  Use SPP only, no SRP or you may miss the warning signs.  

As far as Silhouette goes, it is my favorite 9major powder. 

Back when I had a small frame Tanfoglio open gun(just a small three port comp, no barrel holes) I exclusively used aa5 for major loads.  Worked great.  It was the choice of many top shooters in the 90’s shooting this style of open gun.  Today though with radically different open gun designs it does not work so well, like those v4 and v6 Tanfoglios, or 2011 with barrel holes and better comps.   Minor loads for steel, better suited.