Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011/1911 3lb competiton trigger???

vgdvc

Seems to me there's a race/challenge to get down to 1.5 lb 2011/1911 triggers and hope for longevity and reliability. Can anyone in the M to GM class build a case for having a 2.5 to 3 lb trigger as an advantage for competition at higher levels? I have some opinions formed but would like to hear from those that are at where I'm striving to be,thanks.

14 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I am ONLY a Low B, and I cannot think of ANY advantage of a heavier trigger   :) 

I have come across a couple based on experience and experiment but would really like to hear from some  higher class shooters than myself (83%) to get their opinion. If I'm alone with this I guess I'll have to get all my triggers prepped down to 1.5-1.75 lbs LOL

Seems to me there's a race/challenge to get down to 1.5 lb 2011/1911 triggers and hope for longevity and reliability. Can anyone in the M to GM class build a case for having a 2.5 to 3 lb trigger as an advantage for competition at higher levels? I have some opinions formed but would like to hear from those that are at where I'm striving to be,thanks.
if that were true how does a guy like Shane Coley win limited nats in 2017 with a modified glock 24? Or Stoeger with his beretta's and tanfo? A super short reset is what i'd be looking for

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

I have come across a couple based on experience and experiment but would really like to hear from some  higher class shooters than myself (83%) to get their opinion. If I'm alone with this I guess I'll have to get all my triggers prepped down to 1.5-1.75 lbs LOL

I'm only an M in SS and LTD, but i'm not sure I shoot any differently with a 1.5lb trigger than with a 2.25 lb trigger. I actually tweaked the sear spring on my new limited gun to bump it up to 1.75 because 1.5 just felt like i had to be too careful with it. Maybe I would have gotten used to it after a while. My singlestack guns are still in the mid 2 lb range, and I shoot them just as fast and accurately. IMHO, there's alot of other stuff that is more important.

I would say it is much more important for the trigger to be totally reliable first, then smooth and clean-breaking, then short pre-travel and reset, and lastly a reasonably light trigger pull weight. You don't want to have to worry about hammer-follow, or have it double once or twice at a match,

Edited by motosapiens

Yes. This leans towards my point that a 1.5 lb trigger really isn't mandatory to do well. I would just like to hear some direct opinions,pro and con, from M & GM shooters on the subject.

2 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I'm only an M in SS and LTD, but i'm not sure I shoot any differently with a 1.5lb trigger than with a 2.25 lb trigger. I actually tweaked the sear spring on my new limited gun to bump it up to 1.75 because 1.5 just felt like i had to be too careful with it. Maybe I would have gotten used to it after a while. My singlestack guns are still in the mid 2 lb range, and I shoot them just as fast and accurately. IMHO, there's alot of other stuff that is more important.

Thank you for the comments. I definitely agree there are things more to focus on.  Just wondering if I'm missing the boat by not having things shut down to 1.5/1.75lbs. I think ,concentrating only on the subject matter of trigger poundage,a lot has to do with where the weight is in the pull. Having a little extra tension on the pre traveling and coming up to a somewhat firm wall helps me to prep for tight/long shots. But at 2.5 - 3 lbs still light enough to pull straight through on closer targets and maintain accuracy and both cases. I find it difficult to prep the trigger on a 1.5 lb trigger, coming straight through when not intending to.

Not really a reliability reason but I remember as an an RO, I handled this one really light trigger, probably 1 to 1.5 lbs... I know you're wondering why an RO is handling a competitor's gun, I usually don't, but this one time I made an exception as the competitor was busy applying direct pressure. True story.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the comments. I definitely agree there are things more to focus on.  Just wondering if I'm missing the boat by not having things shut down to 1.5/1.75lbs. I think ,concentrating only on the subject matter of trigger poundage,a lot has to do with where the weight is in the pull. Having a little extra tension on the pre traveling and coming up to a somewhat firm wall helps me to prep for tight/long shots. But at 2.5 - 3 lbs still light enough to pull straight through on closer targets and maintain accuracy and both cases. I find it difficult to prep the trigger on a 1.5 lb trigger, coming straight through when not intending to.

With a trigger that light I would not recommend touching it till you want it to go off! Haha. As far as weight goes I would LOVE to have a 1.5lbs trigger that I trusted to be reliable. I haven’t found one yet unfortunately. I’m sure they’re out there. I would agree with above that there’s no advantage to going heavier. But I don’t think there’s a real noticeable disadvantage on a stage either. I played with breaking 2 lbs last year on my limited gun and had hammer follow issues all year. This year I had a custom gun built and it’s got a 2.5-3lbs trigger in it and I’m loving it. I would be thrilled to have the same trust in it and get it tuned down to 1-1.5 but after last season that ain’t happening.

Truth be told I actually made GM in Limited shooting a borrowed, stock, STI DVC (while my gun was getting worked on) and the only major match I’ve ever won high overall I was shooting the same stock DVC.... it definitely didn’t have a 1lbs trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2.5-3 lbs with a very crisp break, and a nice positive reset is my preference. 

I've seen so many shooters brag or talk about their 1lb triggers, then I pick the gun up and the break is sloppy, and the reset is like molasses.  No thanks. 

Are there great, really light triggers out there? Sure.  But there is only a limited few people I'd trust to set them up.  

Good replies. Thanks gentlemen. I'm going to stick with having enough weight at the wall whe I can prep the trigger on tight shots and still light enough to come straight through and not disrupt accuracy on closer targets. 2.5 to 2.75lb seems to be the sweet spot for me. Glad to hear it also from better shooters.

I am B class too. I shoot both 3 lb and 1.5 lb 2011/1911 triggers.

I find that I shoot faster and more accurate with the 1.5 lb trigger. But yes, the 1.5 lb trigger will have hammer follow issue.

I have to say, I do not feel the break or reset while I compete..... Not sure that is necessary in IPSC/USPSA.

I would get it reliable and then shoot it until you are used to whatever the weight is. 

One of my 2011's is about a half pound heavier, but I only notice when I'm dry firing one after the other.

Personally I like the lightest I can get because I tend to be a trigger slapper and thats less force required that might move the gun off target. 

I'm sitting at 90-ish in limited in case that matters.

7 hours ago, tkane said:

I would get it reliable and then shoot it until you are used to whatever the weight is. 

One of my 2011's is about a half pound heavier, but I only notice when I'm dry firing one after the other.

Personally I like the lightest I can get because I tend to be a trigger slapper and thats less force required that might move the gun off target. 

I'm sitting at 90-ish in limited in case that matters.

Thanks for the feedback. I usually pull straight through most shots also but will prep strong hand/weak hand and tight/far targets. Do you ever prep up to the wall then breakthrough? I have a hard time doing it under competition conditions with anything less than 2.25-2.5 lbs.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:51 PM, vgdvc said:

Thanks for the feedback. I usually pull straight through most shots also but will prep strong hand/weak hand and tight/far targets. Do you ever prep up to the wall then breakthrough? I have a hard time doing it under competition conditions with anything less than 2.25-2.5 lbs.

On the clock I don't ever recall prepping. During slow fire/group shooting I will sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, tha1000 said:

@CodyAxon talked at one point on his podcast about how he increased the trigger pull on his Atlas limited guns...

Yeah I like mine to sit around 2 lbs, even though he ships them more like 1.5-1.75. I don't think the difference between a 1.5 lbs trigger pull and 3 lbs trigger pulls is ever the deciding factor in matches.