Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark vii powder check sensor

What are users thoughts as to the degree of sensitivity between pistol vs rifle cartridge and ease of set- up using this sensor. I have Dillon powder checks on my RL 1050s and debating the Mark vii sensor for my Evolution. Thx 

The sensor goes off of the height of the powder inside the case, so as a percentage of charge it's much more sensitive on rifle cartridges than on light pistol loads.  There are two sensor triggers, once has a .138" acceptable height range, and the other has .217" range.  Just like the Dillon one, it's primarily designed to catch big variations in powder, close to no-charge and double-charge range.  It works very well at that, and it's very easy to set up.  You just get a case loaded with your preferred charge, put it in that station, lower the toolhead all the way, then set the height of the die so that the inner sensor assembly is flush on top with the outer assembly.  

I do like mine.

Would be nice if there was a quicker way to adjust it though. I'm loading lots of different loads (9 major and 9 minor with different powders and bullet weights) and having to use both wrench and allen key to adjust it is lame. Some kind of quick adjust with e.g. just one thumb screw would be even nicer.
But once adjusted, it has worked very well for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I assume the powder check can operate without the tablet? 

i bought the Evo Pro but want to operate the press manually until I learn it and trust it. I’m having trouble with the powder drop not dropping powder so a functioning powder sensor is pretty important. The sensor doesn’t have any instructions with it. Just a pic of where to plug it in to the auto drive. 

4 hours ago, Wrist Shot said:

I assume the powder check can operate without the tablet? 

i bought the Evo Pro but want to operate the press manually until I learn it and trust it. I’m having trouble with the powder drop not dropping powder so a functioning powder sensor is pretty important. The sensor doesn’t have any instructions with it. Just a pic of where to plug it in to the auto drive. 

The sensor itself doesn't work stand-alone with a manual press.  MK7 announced at Shot Show that they were going to be releasing a new Control Box to allow sensors to be ran on the manual Evo press, you'll need one of those after they come out if you really want to run the press manually.  Personally, I think that's silly, just hook up the Autodrive, you can use the Single Cycle function or run the press on slow 1000 rph speed if you want to keep a very close eye on what it's doing.  But if you hook that up, you'll be able to use the Powder Check sensor now and catch any no charge/double charge conditions.