Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Break In and Questions

Centuriator

New to STI handguns, just picked up my first (Elite Tactical), chambered in 9mm. What have folks found to be the best way to break it in? Should I use NATO 124gr for "X" number of rounds, etc. The reason I ask is my Les Baer comes with instructions about putting at least 500 rounds through it before field stripping and cleaning. Thanks for any thoughts.

The other thing I notice is that when I rack the slide it does not snap forward strongly as I'm used on all my other semi-auto, it kind of somewhat slowly glides into place, I had no problem with it stripping the round of the magazine and subsequent shots, but just is a bit different for me. I am not sure how to describe it, except to say it is kind of a "slow glide" forward. I was hitting the slide with the heel of my hand to make sure it was actually in battery and it always was.

Clean all the original lube/grease from the gun.  Some manufacturers use thick lube, while others don't.  You also want to be sure there was no debris left in there.  While you have it apart and clean, put the slide on the frame and run it back and forth a few times.  You should feel no resistance.  If you do, put some motor oil on the rails and slide and burnish it in by hand, sliding the slide back and forth full stroke about 200 times.

STI has a habit of not cutting the slide ways as deep at the very front of the slide.  So it there is any resistance when the slide is all the way to the rear, you should stone the front section of the ways before burnishing.

Then lube everything with a good quality oil, reassemble and go shooting.

As far as breaking in, like stated, clean off all the original lube, and oil it well with a good quality lube. And then just shoot it with your normal loads. Shoot rapid enough to get the gun warm, not hot, so the metal expands and rubs down any high spots. Don't clean off the oil, but just add more during the process. The combo of powder fouling and oil acts as a lapping compound. 

As far as it feeling sluggish, is this your first 9mm 1911? They do use much lighter recoil springs, and STI certainly uses a lighter spring than probably a Les Baer.

Also, you'll probably  want to polish the feed ramp. 9mm's sometimes have problems feeding rounds because of the feed ramp.

Clean it oil it shoot it.

Don't take it apart but oil it some more and shoot some more.

Repeat oil. shoot. oil shoot

1000 rounds, clean it, look it over and see where all spots that the mix of oil and residue lapped the frame to the slide,

Those are now your primary oiling spots

Enjoy and shoot about 100,000 more rounds etc etc 

A few months ago I got my new open gun from Matt Cheely. He recommended break in like shooting a match. @ 30 rounds then let the gun cool. Oil up, & repeat. He had a 7lb recoil in it for break in and included an 8 for post break in after @ 1k rounds. Not sure if it was necessary but the first 300 I put through it were sub major, just to start off a little easier. 

• 3 weeks later...

I cleaned my atlas, oiled it up good, and put 400 rounds through the first time out the range. Ran like a top. Second trip out oiled it and sent a few hundred more down range. So far so good. Just gotta remember to oil it before each match or practice session. 

On 2/28/2019 at 12:44 PM, Corrado_kid said:

I cleaned my atlas, oiled it up good, and put 400 rounds through the first time out the range. Ran like a top. Second trip out oiled it and sent a few hundred more down range. So far so good. Just gotta remember to oil it before each match or practice session. 

How do you like your Atlas? do you use factory or handloads? if handloads what OAL do you use?

53 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

It's because 40 cal is the minimum to make major power factor. 9mm will cause you to shoot minor power factor (less points for the same hit)

I don't compete, I don't play gun games. I just shoot.

:)

1 hour ago, davidb72 said:

It's because 40 cal is the minimum to make major power factor. 9mm will cause you to shoot minor power factor (less points for the same hit)

Same points for As.  One less point for Cs & Ds.  😉

11 hours ago, Centuriator said:

I don't compete, I don't play gun games. I just shoot.
:)

start competing and playing gun games!!!!!  at least try a couple (uspsa, idpa, steel challenge, falling steel).  super fun and super addictive.

2 hours ago, davsco said:

start competing and playing gun games!!!!!  at least try a couple (uspsa, idpa, steel challenge, falling steel).  super fun and super addictive.

I know, I have no excuse not to. My gun club has all kinds of opportunity. The steel plates may be where I start. The guys are very welcoming and none of them looks to be setting any land-speed records anytime soon, so I'll probably fit right in. Thanks for the encouragementt.