Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about double and single action

reddirt

Let me start by saying I don't know squat about this kind of competition. My question is, are some of these events restricted to SA only, DA only, and then some being DA/SA? As I look at pistols, I see some that fit all three category's. What would be the reason to shoot DA only? 

In uspsa you can use any variety tjat you listed, but the action type can have an effect on what division you shoot in. I think DAO is only popular with some law enforcement agencies,  while you can use it, it is not popular in uspsa.  If you have a 9mm or larger pistol and a few mags it will work for your first several matches till you learn a little

The action type determines the division (equipment rules) you will shoot. SAO is limited (race guns without comps and red dots), single stack (1911s), and open (race guns with comps and red dots). DAO and DA/SA can be used in any division. The only division I can think of where everybody uses DAO is revolver. In production where you see all the DA/SA guns they start in DA.

If all you have is a DAO gun then come out and try the sport. You only need a belt, a holster, and a couple of mags. I have seen beginners start by storing mags in their pockets, which there is a rule about mags in front of your hip bone in certain divisions, but don't worry about that for now.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:24 PM, reddirt said:

Ok, thanks to both of you for the response. What spurred the question is one of the pistols I looked at, the Eaa Stock 3 Extreme, is listed on the EAA site as DA only. Could that be a mistake?

You can shoot that everywhere, the only catch is you might desire the nicer trigger of a SAO gun later. Don't sweat it, get shooting.