Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best source for adding/changing sights on a revolver?

speederlander

If you have a S&W with interchangeable front sights you can change it yourself with no tools. I just did mine with a fiber optic 0.100” wide one from Dawson Precision in less than a minute.

I also changed the rear sight blade to a Weigand. That’s not for the timid. Launched the little windage adjustment plunger and springs a few times and they are hard to find in the floor. The blade had to be filed to fit the slot and the adjustment screw head outside circumference had to be filed, too. Read a lot of posts about them having wiggles when installed. Absolutely no wiggles in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LPA makes a very good replacement adjustable rear sight for S&W K,L and N-frame revolvers that are factory drilled and tapped.  S&W revolvers with a pinned front sight blade are easy to change for a different height or width.  Drive out the pin and drill the replacement blade with a #54 drill bit using the holes in the sight base as a drill guide. 

3 hours ago, PatJones said:

If you're talking about machining a firearm for sights, it's usually more cost effective to sell it and buy one with the style of sights you prefer.

Yeah, it would be machined. So far I am seeing $600 to $700 quoted. Not so much worth it to me at this time. For < $400 I might have jumped on it.

5 minutes ago, speederlander said:

Yeah, it would be machined. So far I am seeing $600 to $700 quoted. Not so much worth it to me at this time. For < $400 I might have jumped on it.

That sounds a bit excessive. What are you trying to do?

1 hour ago, speederlander said:

Ah, you mean machining for a front sight base. Bowen has bases and I would give Mojo a call. I can’t see it costing that much, all they are doing is running a standard 1/4” end mill and tapping for the screw. 

Honestly it’s an easy job for a machinist. 

What you haven't said is, the model of Smith with the dash (ie 686-3),  barrel length, if 6", do you want to castrate it to 4'' and if you do, then get a Weigand front sight base and bury that into the barrel - they use standard S&W Classic front sights.  This is what I had done to a 6" 686 no dash M for my wife.  Cost me $100 CDN and supplied the sight base and the front sight.

xNT6CPQ.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.magnaport.com/misc.html

$115.00 from Mag-na-port.

C-More Sights Conversion, (Ruger and Smith & Wesson w/Integral Sights)
* We mill off sight blade and E.D.M. a pocket in the base or ramp to accept the CMore blade, then drill through the side of the ramp base and blade to insert a roll pin which holds the CMore sight in place.