Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleat Recommendation

moonshoxx

i guess i am a 50 year old guy trying to go too fast but i slipped today on a mud spot and got dq'ed.  I was wearing asics trail running shoes but they had got clogged up so mud on mud equals ice rink.  Any suggestion for some cheaper cleats?  Make and model.  Thanks folks.

Saloman Spikecross is a good one.  It is a soft cleat with some small metal spikes about the size of the head of a screw. I've been wearing those for years now and if not those, you could try the speed cross.  they are really popular in the uspsa community.

Gonna have to hit a store and try them on,, many cleats seem to only be made for 3 toed lizzard men or something they are so narrow..  I found Addidas hightop foot ball cleats seem to fit me pretty well. Not sure if they are IDPA legal need to check.. 

When it is wet and muddy I wear my Vasque Sundowner hiking boots.  They are Goretex lined and the lugs grip anything, any time.  Otherwise, the best gripping shoe I've owned is the Hooka One One Speedgoat ATR.  Super light, neutral and super grippy.  The lugs are self-clearing in snow and mud.

I would get the typical footwear for sports played on the same surface you shoot on.  Here in Colorado, its mostly hard gravelly surfaces.  I wear soccer turf shoes in the summer, they are incredible for grip, yet have a rubber bottom that grips wooden stage props just fine.  Not as comfortable as trail running shoes, but I'm fine with it.  Cleats can get clogged with mud just like anything else, and the kind of cleats that are really good for mud would be hell on your feet in the dry areas, I think.  

Most of the cleats I’ve seen people wear are Under Armour football cleats, and while they work well on loose gravel/sandy ranges they are horrible for hard pack dirt ranges. I’ve seen several people who wear cleats fall while on harder surfaces. I’ve had great luck with Merrel Moab shoes on loose muddy ranges, when it’s dry and the surface is hard I use a trail running shoe. I recently switched to the Saucony Peregrine 8 shoes.