Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers

Adrenaline

gave up on local 20 years ago,,, just do a bulk order from powder valley and save some money. They have ur primers in stock for  $33 perk,, and u can get about 30k on one hazmat fee..
U can also combine powder and primers in one 70lb shipment. 

56 minutes ago, Adrenaline said:

My local sportsman warehouse can't get their s#!t together and get primers in stock I use Federal small pistol primers says gold medal match on the box..  I like these because I run a lightened striker and the cups are soft. What would the closest substitution be?

Be careful running a soft primer like Federal in 9major; they can be pierced far more easily under the high pressure.

On 2/3/2019 at 3:53 PM, Joe4d said:

gave up on local 20 years ago,,, just do a bulk order from powder valley and save some money. They have ur primers in stock for  $33 perk,, and u can get about 30k on one hazmat fee..
U can also combine powder and primers in one 70lb shipment. 

Some states and cities impose restrictions on how many primers you can store in a residence, so be aware of that before placing an order of that size.  Unless things have changed since I last checked, if I placed an order for that many primers at once, I'd be in violation of state law here in MN.

1 hour ago, olstyn said:

Some states and cities impose restrictions on how many primers you can store in a residence, so be aware of that before placing an order of that size.  Unless things have changed since I last checked, if I placed an order for that many primers at once, I'd be in violation of state law here in MN.

That’s why you don’t talk about such things. Most of us have more than a few hundred primers and a pound or two of powder.😂

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

That’s why you don’t talk about such things. Most of us have more than a few hundred primers and a pound or two of powder.😂

Just wanted the person who was asking for advice to know that it's important to be aware of that stuff.  I have several thousand primers and a decent amount of powder myself, but I'm careful to stay under the legal limit for my state.

11 hours ago, olstyn said:

never once had the state/city kick my door in and want to count primers.  
Was surprised to see this really is a law in MN,,   nomore than 10k in a residence....    but seems you could store less than 1,000,000  but more than 10 k in a detached outbuilding if you have a barn or shop.  Also wierd can have as much live ammo as you like,,, so load it fast.
But either way, around me,  2k primers is the break even point WITH hazmat fee. As there is about a $10 per k markup.  So I would STILL order 10k at a time. 

15 hours ago, Joe4d said:

never once had the state/city kick my door in and want to count primers.  
Was surprised to see this really is a law in MN,,   nomore than 10k in a residence....    but seems you could store less than 1,000,000  but more than 10 k in a detached outbuilding if you have a barn or shop.  Also wierd can have as much live ammo as you like,,, so load it fast.
But either way, around me,  2k primers is the break even point WITH hazmat fee. As there is about a $10 per k markup.  So I would STILL order 10k at a time. 

Likelihood of getting caught above the limit is pretty low, yes, but a 10K limit also isn't too horrible of a hardship.  At least they didn't make it 1K or 2K:P

I think the theory on primers vs loaded rounds is that primers are considered to be explosives, but ammunition is not.  Weird, yes.

You're absolutely right on ordering. Presuming it's within the budget, the formula would be something like order quantity = round down to nearest thousand (10K - (quantity on hand - quantity to be loaded prior to order arrival)), i.e. if you have 2.5K on hand and you're going to load 500 rounds this weekend, order 8K.