Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will other companies make a steel frame striker gun?

Akkid17

Curious with the fanfare around the new Q5 SF if other companies will follow suit and make a premium steel frame version of their striker fired pistols. There is an aftermarket company making a new grip module for the p320 and have mentioned possibly making an aluminum or steel version in the future. 

I’m definitely excited to see what people come out with

14 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

I would be highly surprised.  Most people want light carry guns.  We are such a very small market I just don't see the ROI for most companies.  

...Every major pistol manufacturer has put the investment into developing some kind of longslide competition-oriented version of their duty pistol, but they won't respond to market demand from competition shooters because it's not worth it? I don't but that.

Particularly now that one of those manufacturers has introduced a steel version of their competition pistol, to huge excitement from the shooting industry at large, I'd say it's less than a year before either Sig themselves or an aftermarket company introduces at least a metal grip module of some kind for the X-Five. There are already several companies making aftermarket frames for Glocks out of metal.

I think the odds of other companies following suit are better than not at this point, particularly now that Walther has forced their hands.

ETA: Not to mention another company introduced a metal-framed striker-fired gun intended for duty and competition this year, the NEMO Monark. In fact I'd be willing to bet the next big trend in striker-fired competition AND duty pistols will be heavier, recoil-absorbing metal frames

Edited by Rudukai13

Sig already made a metal frame for their tomb of the unknown pistols - id bet they can bring that to market quickly if the q5sf does well. Id also not be surprised if cz make a steel frame of their p10 to sell alongside the shadow 2.

As for the other major manufacturers? I dont think so. Itll be a cold day in hell before glock makes a steel framed pistol, and s&w doesnt even have a 2.0 version of their pro 5" model yet. Canik doesnt really operate at the price point of steel frame guns, and beretta hasnt really shown interest in the competiton market before.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, random_guy7531 said:

Canik doesnt really operate at the price point of steel frame guns, and beretta hasnt really shown interest in the competiton market before.

You mean other than the S-120 and P-120?

On 2/4/2019 at 2:23 AM, Rudukai13 said:

. There are already several companies making aftermarket frames for Glocks out of metal.

Name names lol. I've only heard of one, and they haven't been around for years. Never seen one in person, although a couple frames have appeared in the classified section over the years.

1 minute ago, Racinready300ex said:

Name names lol. I've only heard of one, and they haven't been around for years. Never seen one in person, although a couple frames have appeared in the classified section over the years.

ZRODelta and Alpha Foxtrot, for two. Zev has their OZ9 which is more like a 2011, with a metal chassis and a polymer grip piece

3 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

ZRODelta and Alpha Foxtrot, for two. Zev has their OZ9 which is more like a 2011, with a metal chassis and a polymer grip piece

Those mostly seem to be aluminum, I think I'd be find with just sticking with poly vs Aluminum. But it's neat, and if Aluminum is doable so is steel. Just more $$$

On 2/19/2019 at 9:00 AM, Racinready300ex said:

Those mostly seem to be aluminum, I think I'd be find with just sticking with poly vs Aluminum. But it's neat, and if Aluminum is doable so is steel. Just more $$$

Steel is certainly preferable for the additional weight

On 2/19/2019 at 8:40 AM, himurax13 said:

You mean other than the S-120 and P-120?

I will admit - I have never heard of these, so you have me there.

For what it's worth though, neither of these show up on Canik's website. Based on the website, the only products an otherwise uninformed consumer would assume Canik sells are the TP9 series guns.

Additionally, I don't necessarily foresee that Canik would make their own frames - most of their designs are quite derivative (the TP9 series is effectively a Walther, the S/P-120's are effectively CZ's). Is it possible that Canik will use whatever license deal they have with Walther to make a steel frame version of the SFX? Perhaps. However (and I would almost be excited to be proven wrong on this) there is a rough order of magnitude of difference in terms of production cost between a polymer and steel frame - if not on initial capital expenditures, then for sure on the marginal unit basis. I suspect that Canik would not be able to make the business case to manufacture their own Q5SF competitor.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:29 AM, highhope said:

Hope Sig will make steel frame for X5, it's way easier for a modular gun

They have... long ago and still do the p226 x5 and x6 series.  DOA only but I think both are overweight ( not sure on it, I sold my x6 scadic a while back. Beautiful gun, but twice the price of an sti dvc  typically)

On 2/19/2019 at 8:53 AM, Rudukai13 said:

Lone wolf manufacturing also but they ceased production.

the zrodelta is completely modular.. like legos for glock fan boys...should sell buckets of them if the market is anything consistent.... glock boys will buy thousands of dollars of trinkets for thier bro bracelets.

13 hours ago, Sawdustnsteel said:

They have... long ago and still do the p226 x5 and x6 series.  DOA only but I think both are overweight ( not sure on it, I sold my x6 scadic a while back. Beautiful gun, but twice the price of an sti dvc  typically)

He's referring to a steel grip module compatible with the P320 platform, not the P226. The P226 X5 and X6 are, to my knowledge, predominantly SAO guns. Although I know there's at least a DA/SA version of the X5 available. And yes, they're quite spendy...

On 2/23/2019 at 1:39 PM, Rudukai13 said:

He's referring to a steel grip module compatible with the P320 platform, not the P226. The P226 X5 and X6 are, to my knowledge, predominantly SAO guns. Although I know there's at least a DA/SA version of the X5 available. And yes, they're quite spendy...

The DA/SA version, that is legal for production division is called Allround.

I searched for one, at a fair price for probably 10 years, and bought one through this site.

As accurate as my STIs, but, I had a cash flow problem, and sold it to a friend. It's the best gun he owns. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 3:36 AM, RGC said:

Heard a rumor Grand Power was creating an Xcal steelie...

Interesting, so that would be more of a cz/tanfo competitor since it’s a hammer fired da/sa gun. Still I like that there may be more companies coming on board with the steel frame idea 

• 1 month later...