Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring-different w/ optic?

jpm2953

I’ve always ran 12lb springs in my m&p’s with 130pf ammo. Just picked up a C.o.r.e last week and put a vortex venom on it. After I already ordered the 12lb spring, I thought maybe the extra weight on the slide would require a different weight spring. Any advice on that? 

I purchased a new (5 inch 40) Core three years ago and have always loaded "lite" 40's for the gun (180s at 135pf / 165s at 128pf). The factory recoil spring had to come out right away because it was too stiff w/ the lite loads (short stroke jam-o-matic). Infact ... the only thing I could get to work w/ the factory recoil spring was factory Blazer Brass ammo (179pf). 

Initially, I went down to a 13lb spring because that was as lite as I could go before I noticed the slide failing to reset (w/ the gun pointed straight up 90 degrees ... as soon as I started to bring it down the slide would snap fully close). 

It didn't take very  long for it to loosen up and reset fine even with an 11lb spring ... (didn't matter if the JPoint was bolted on or not ...).

To this day the 11lb spring is still installed (over a full length stainless guide rod) and w/ it's Apex sub 3lb trigger ... it has become my favorite gun to shoot (and I sure never thought would happen).

I don't have a CORE though on my 9 Pro the red dot is staying in the screen now that I'm at 130 PF and 11#  uncaptured recoil spring on the factory rod. I'm sure the recoil spring has some to do with the reduced dot movement but I'm beginning to see that a good hard grab on the gun contributes substantially.

• 2 weeks later...

I have run a 12# spring on mine, but it will sometimes go out of battery on reloading a full magazine, so I went back to factory for reliability.  The issue I have with the factory spring is it is it is not 100% reliable with my 125 pf loads... 

5 minutes ago, Dannybot said:

I have run a 12# spring on mine, but it will sometimes go out of battery on reloading a full magazine, so I went back to factory for reliability.  The issue I have with the factory spring is it is it is not 100% reliable with my 125 pf loads... 

IIRC the factory spring is 16# ... There are 13 and 15 available.