Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Steel Challenge Drills - Would like to ask for proven training methods to increase speed and accuracy

Wanted to ask the BE Forum braintrust what has worked for you...Proven results that has allowed you to become a better, faster, more accurate PCC shooter in the Steel Challenge arena.....I know many will say - practice, practice, practice - which I already do now but why not try things that are not in my bailiwick of ideas to see it trying something new and different will allow me to be the next Senior World Champion.....Thanks Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

Look up world record run time, create the per string par time, dry fire it on the steel challenge banners from steelshootbanners.com

If you already have know the good order of the stages, your gun runs great and you have the requisite visual processing speed to execute the movements at the speed to be a senior world champ then I'd say there is really nothing to it other than repetition at the desired speed.

The mental side of it and creating all day match fitness are the other areas I would look into. You absolutely can not go wrong by being stronger and more confident mentally and then having a body that doesn't get tired and worn down by  standing around in the sun for 7 hours.

Look up world record run time, create the per string par time, dry fire it on the steel challenge banners from steelshootbanners.com

If you already have know the good order of the stages, your gun runs great and you have the requisite visual processing speed to execute the movements at the speed to be a senior world champ then I'd say there is really nothing to it other than repetition at the desired speed.

The mental side of it and creating all day match fitness are the other areas I would look into. You absolutely can not go wrong by being stronger and more confident mentally and then having a body that doesn't get tired and worn down by  standing around in the sun for 7 hours.

The banners Ken makes are awesome. Ken also has a book that breaks down stages and training. It called something like I fell the need for speed.

To also be honest, I've shot it my very best when I just went to the range and set up the stages and shot till I was up to my ankles in brass. There is a reason there are practice stages at the match, bring double ammo and get totally warmed up.

7 hours ago, cconnection said:

where do they have practice stages at a match?  WOW what a concept, I would love that.  Work out kinks without destroying a whole day.  Get a little extra work.  I am going to suggest at the next match.  I have never seen it done in Washington area.

We have them at US Steel Shoot (April - Atlanta, GA) and at WSSC (May - Talladega, AL). All 8 stages are setup for practice. I don't know of any other matches that have them. Some ranges offer practice after competition is done for the day but I don't see that very often.

13 hours ago, cconnection said:

where do they have practice stages at a match?

since the OP was talking about being senior world champ, there is only one place to do that. And that match has warm up bays of all the stages. as well as us steel shoot. seriously bring as much ammo as you ever ever ever think you'd need. trust me.

edit: i've also seen more than once where a person the morning of the match says to the md, "hey can I sight in a gun real quick on a stage?" and the md says somethign like, "sure just paint it when you're done." and their version of sighting the gun in is running four or so strings on the stage. just saying...

there is a reason why most people shoot more than one division. it is to get warm ups on the clock, on the actual stages before the shoot the gun they really care about.

Edited by rowdyb
10 hours ago, stick said:

I made GM in steel challenge in 6 months using them.  The banners are only part of it.  It also takes the mental preparation and the ability to see faster.  

Not trying to discount that you are a GM but the truth is the bar was set very low. 

Being senior world champion is a great goal.  Perhaps train with rimfire rifle optics also.  Less $$ for ammo and the movement is the same.  My PCC length of pull is shorter than  my rimfire so I am going to try and make them the same.  I can put a lot more .22 down range for the price per thousand of 9mm 

2 hours ago, Paul-the new guy said:

Not trying to discount that you are a GM but the truth is the bar was set very low. 

Being senior world champion is a great goal.  Perhaps train with rimfire rifle optics also.  Less $$ for ammo and the movement is the same.  My PCC length of pull is shorter than  my rimfire so I am going to try and make them the same.  I can put a lot more .22 down range for the price per thousand of 9mm 

Why do you have to burst my bubble?

When are we going to shoot together again?  I miss the old days.

Guys - Thanks for your responses and recommendations.  Ken V. saw my post and kindly sent me an email also. I have a copy of his book - Do you feel the need for speed - in route and because of the comments from the friends here I will read this book and give Ken’s recommended training tips to heart. Knowing that changing habits (good or bad) to consistant repeatable results take time I have loaded up about 8k rounds of 9mm and I also will be using my  10/22 Target Lite rifle in practice to save on overall ammo costs...

Again my thanks to each of you who took the time to respond...I did not know about Ken’s book and the other recommendations related to stamina and using my 22 rifle are all great points.....Update late summer after I dedicate the needed time to see if I can step up to my personal challenge....Mark 

14 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Guys - Thanks for your responses and recommendations.  Ken V. saw my post and kindly sent me an email also. I have a copy of his book - Do you feel the need for speed - in route and because of the comments from the friends here I will read this book and give Ken’s recommended training tips to heart. Knowing that changing habits (good or bad) to consistant repeatable results take time I have loaded up about 8k rounds of 9mm and I also will be using my  10/22 Target Lite rifle in practice to save on overall ammo costs...

Again my thanks to each of you who took the time to respond...I did not know about Ken’s book and the other recommendations related to stamina and using my 22 rifle are all great points.....Update late summer after I dedicate the needed time to see if I can step up to my personal challenge....Mark 

I know Ken and he's a stand up guy.  I'm always asking him questions to improve my shooting.