Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the most unsafe thing you've seen at a match?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, JFlowers said:

Steel Challenge match, young shooter goes to holster, gets shirt tail caught as he does, puts round into the ground.  Luckily no on was hurt.

 

Untucked shirt around the holster is a HUGE issue with me precisely because of that.  Even worse, almost all that I see wearing a shirt like that are carrying a striker-fired pistol which is guaranteed to fire if the shirt gets in front of the trigger.

 

It's getting to the point that I'm thinking about requiring anyone dressed like that to tuck the shirt inside his pants before I give the make ready command.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

 

It's getting to the point that I'm thinking about requiring anyone dressed like that to tuck the shirt inside his pants before I give the make ready command.

YES, seen that happen, always tell the shooter to tuck it in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Farmer said:

Don’t know why you’d want your shirt or anything else in the way of your holster  when your trying to compete. Of course people now days all dress like a bunch of shlepp’s anyway. 

I don't know but it's something I see most often with the tacticool or the casual competitors.

 

I also see it more in IDPA than in uspsa 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Farmer said:

Don’t know why you’d want your shirt or anything else in the way of your holster  when your trying to compete. Of course people now days all dress like a bunch of shlepp’s anyway. 

 

I've threatened to shoot an entire PCC match in a suit and coat using a Thompson with a drum...

 

Just need a spare $2k to pick one up.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matteekay said:

 

I've threatened to shoot an entire PCC match in a suit and coat using a Thompson with a drum...

 

Just need a spare $2k to pick one up.  

When I first joined there was an entire group who called themselves the zoot suit shooters. They all dressed the roaring 20’s gangster part. Even their wives joined in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

When I first joined there was an entire group who called themselves the zoot suit shooters. They all dressed the roaring 20’s gangster part. Even their wives joined in.

 

Acknowledging that we're off-topic...

 

I wish more shooters did things like this. I get that we're all trying to optimize for performance but having fun with the sport is also totally valid (especially at locals). Then again, I'm a revolver shooter so I don't expect win anything anyway...

 

49300272467_1727597d6e_c.jpg

Edited by matteekay
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, matteekay said:

 

Acknowledging that we're off-topic...

 

I wish more shooters did things like this. I get that we're all trying to optimize for performance but having fun with the sport is also totally valid (especially at locals). Then again, I'm a revolver shooter so I don't expect win anything anyway...

 

 

bad santa, or is that good santa

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was RO'ing a during a stage at a match I was not a "local" at, so I didn't really know anyone. WSB was an unloaded gun on barrel in front of shooter, and all mags on barrels throughout the stage. Shooter comes up decked out in techwear racing jersey with his name on it "John Doe" and his sponsor "John Doe Custom Guns". He's shooting what appeared to be a custom built 2011, with all the bells and whistles. After double checking down range was clear (now that I think about it, this was right after that infamous video of someone shooting a stage while someone was downrange brassing up. So th pre-match brief included that bit of info). I give him the ol' make ready, and he draws his gun, puts it on the barrel, points it straight down range, looks at it puzzled, then spins it 180° pointing back up range... I yell stop, and he looks around confused as to what just happened.

 

I've seen plenty of other unsafe incidents, but this always stands out to me because of how clueless the shooter really was.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not going to lie, that one is pretty damn spectacular. Wow.


 

My favorite is from roughly 2012. We had that “hungry C-class who was eager to get into B-class” guy in SingleStack. The type who runs at GM speed and tries to keep up with their splits, resulting in a whole lot of mikes.
 

Missed his his cue to reload, and the gun locked open as he was pushing the 180 shooting a target on the move at a full sprint. He to track the target, begin the reload, AND turn the gun back downrange. All at once.

 

His brain freaked out, he tripped over his own confusion, fell, and did a tactical barrel roll combined with a drunken cartwheel. 
 

I’ve never been more happy to see a gun at slide-lock than I was while our entire squad was looking down that 45 caliber muzzle.

 

Edited by MemphisMechanic
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, facelessman said:

puts it on the barrel, points it straight down range, looks at it puzzled, then spins it 180° pointing back up range... I yell stop, and he looks around confused as to what just happened.  

Did he have any kind of explanation for this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mechanic,

 

I had a guy go in hard to the last shooting position on a stage at a sectional match. He was the first competitor of the morning and the lush grass was covered with Dixie dew, and when he planted his foot to stop, he didn't... He skidded and did a slow barrel roll to stay in the shooting area, and never broke the 180. He popped up to one knee and finished the stage. It was a thing of beauty. 

 

:)  He was also the second-oldest guy in the match. 

 

Thanks for helping me remember Bob's run and his muzzle control!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

He was the first competitor of the morning and the lush grass was covered with Dixie dew, and when he planted his foot to stop, he didn't...

 

Wet grass not good. 

 

A friend had one foot slide and one foot stick at an IDPA match, result was an ambulance ride and knee surgery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2020 at 7:36 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

 

Wet grass not good. 

 

A friend had one foot slide and one foot stick at an IDPA match, result was an ambulance ride and knee surgery. 


IDPA means no cleats allowed, and old guys.

 

Add in some slick terrian and I can see that happening.

 

Obviously, I prefer cleats for really slick, muddy, or loose terrain. I’m glad USPSA permits them, even though I understand why IDPA doesn’t.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:


IDPA means no cleats allowed, and old guys.

 

Add in some slick terrian and I can see that happening.

 

Obviously, I prefer cleats for really slick, muddy, or loose terrain. I’m glad USPSA permits them, even though I understand why IDPA doesn’t.

 

Didn't some of the professional sports outlaw cleats to prevent injury to the wearer? I might be remembering wrong or it may not be relevant (there is usually not all that much blocking and tackling at USPSA/IDPA matches), but I thought the deal with cleats is that sometimes they work too well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

 

Didn't some of the professional sports outlaw cleats to prevent injury to the wearer? I might be remembering wrong or it may not be relevant (there is usually not all that much blocking and tackling at USPSA/IDPA matches), but I thought the deal with cleats is that sometimes they work too well. 

I seem to remember a turf issue debate in foot ball. Most of the players prefered grass, due to its give. Some artificial turf grabbed to well and only the speedsters liked it. The rest were getting knee injuries.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...