Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt mag issue.

Colt 32 round mags, stock springs, new TaylorFreelance +10 extensions. The bullet end of the round is popping up above the chamber and getting hung between the barrel and bolt.  It happened on two stages today with two different mags in the same configuration.  No issues with stock mags.  It’s about a 10 second issue when it happens, so I need to get this resolved.  

What’s the issue???  I’m guessing it has to do with spring tension since it is only happening on the big sticks.

I run metalform mags from brownells and PSA

The combo that has worked for me are the blued PSA mags with the stock follower, extra power spring with the base plate retainer left on and running 115 gr bullets

i couldn’t get to run with the heavier bullets, also I couldn’t get it to run with the coated Brownells mag

on the extra power spring, I bought 2, and compared them to the stock spring in all my mags and about a 3rd already had the “extra power” spring installed 

I just got the TF custom follower and spring which supposed fix the problems but I haven’t tested it yet

On 2/2/2019 at 6:53 PM, AHI said:

try the original spring. worked better when I had those.

will add never got the extensions to run 100%.

Tried three different tubes and stock guts. 

Edited by tha1000
11 hours ago, HI5-O said:

The TF spring and follower works for me. Using the marlube coated mag  from Brownells. No problems with feeding or loading to 40 rds. 

The metal follower used to get hung up on the TF extension with the extra power spring. Could only load to 36 rds. 

I did not have that problem, but have ordered the extra power spring and follower combo to try. 

I have used the Brownells and the Rock River. These look identical except for the name on the base plate. I got three of the Taylor Freelance extensions. They were a little iffy with the stock spring. The follower would stick slightly at the junction of the extension and magazine. Then I got Wolff extra power mag springs. All three mags work perfectly now. It is best if you down load one or two rounds. Even with downloading, 40 rounds is pretty good to have. I have not had to reload in a stage yet.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, optimator said:

Have you gotten this figured out?

I think so. I need to shoot more before I say yes. 

I wound up with the Taylor freelance springs and followers and swapping out one of the mag bodies.   But I’m not ready to call it fixed just yet. 

1 hour ago, tha1000 said:

I think so. I need to shoot more before I say yes. 

I wound up with the Taylor freelance springs and followers and swapping out one of the mag bodies.   But I’m not ready to call it fixed just yet. 

Thanks. I'm almost done with my Colt lower PCC. I need to figure out extensions myself. Please keep us posted.