Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Moto_wrench

2019 DVC Open?

Recommended Posts

On 2/2/2019 at 9:27 PM, Jfitz427 said:

Skip the sti, especially for 3999. To many problems reported from people, constant trips back to the manufacturer. From what I’ve seen the problems they have a really stupid too, ones that are due to a lack of attention to detail, and bad QC. For 4K Don at venom customs could build you basically a full custom open gun that will run like a Swiss watch. Built to all your specs. My gun is almost done, mine wasn’t a full build, frame and slide where already fit, but he had to do everything else. He started on it on Thursday, he says it will he done tomorrow (Sunday). Some of the top shooters at nationals were shooting his guns. His prices are incredibly reasonable. But you could also look at a CK, definitely very solid guns, and also very reasonable prices. And they’re will run out of the box. With Sti these days it’s seems like a gun running out of the box is the exception, not the rule. 

 

 

 

Jfitz- how long is the lead time on Venon guns? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JJB05 said:

 

Jfitz- how long is the lead time on Venon guns? 

I had heard and expected 3 weeks. It actually took 2 weeks on the dot. I’m not a very patient person, but I didn’t even have time to start bothering him daily asking when it was gonna be done lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, actionshooter said:

Yep....   John has done a lot of work for me..

Great guy

 

Yep, been thinking about his Open Gun, since he's just 100 miles away. And, I have seen a few people in the area Matches using his guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

 

Yep, been thinking about his Open Gun, since he's just 100 miles away. And, I have seen a few people in the area Matches using his guns.

I would definitely recommend him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 9:43 PM, actionshooter said:

I would definitely recommend him.

 

What should I ask for? I have now idea where to start. Just ask him to build the best open gun, based on what works best in his experience? Never owned a 1911/2011 open gun, I'm  a virgin 😀.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

 

What should I ask for? I have now idea where to start. Just ask him to build the best open gun, based on what works best in his experience? Never owned a 1911/2011 open gun, I'm  a virgin 😀.

You are the perfect candidate for the common advice of, "buy a used Open gun until you know what you want exactly and then have a new gun built".  There are so many different things you can do with an Open gun. Some you can just swap out like mounts, dots, grips, comps, etc. BUT some things are forever without spending big money to change like slide weight, cuts, flat top, tri top, shorty, stroked, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sarge said:

You are the perfect candidate for the common advice of, "buy a used Open gun until you know what you want exactly and then have a new gun built".  There are so many different things you can do with an Open gun. Some you can just swap out like mounts, dots, grips, comps, etc. BUT some things are forever without spending big money to change like slide weight, cuts, flat top, tri top, shorty, stroked, etc.

 

I was wondering that too. How much wear and tear should be a concern? Could I get a SVI for 2500 and drop another 1500 into to freshen it up? There's been some great deals on here the last month, I wish I could have jumped on. But $$$ is a bit low. In a few months it'll improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

 

I was wondering that too. How much wear and tear should be a concern? Could I get a SVI for 2500 and drop another 1500 into to freshen it up? There's been some great deals on here the last month, I wish I could have jumped on. But $$$ is a bit low. In a few months it'll improve.

There are always good deals on here. Just keep a look out for one from a reputable member and ask them a bunch of questions. Some might be beaters but I think the majority of Open guns were bought then the owner found out they didn't like Open. Hence, the should have bought a used one quote. LOL

I doubt you will get an SV for $2500 though. Heck, post a WTB add in the classifieds and see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

There are always good deals on here. Just keep a look out for one from a reputable member and ask them a bunch of questions. Some might be beaters but I think the majority of Open guns were bought then the owner found out they didn't like Open. Hence, the should have bought a used one quote. LOL

I doubt you will get an SV for $2500 though. Heck, post a WTB add in the classifieds and see what happens.

 

Thanks Sarge, will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

 

Thanks Sarge, will do.

Well, it’s because I have been there. I had a new gun built and changed almost every changeable part on it. Some twice! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lastcat said:

 

I was wondering that too. How much wear and tear should be a concern? Could I get a SVI for 2500 and drop another 1500 into to freshen it up? There's been some great deals on here the last month, I wish I could have jumped on. But $$$ is a bit low. In a few months it'll improve.

As long as the gun is well-maintained, it'll last for a long time.  My 2011 frame, for example, is about 25 years old, and the slide/barrel are probably close to that but the previous owner took good care of it so it shoots very well for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, Lastcat said:

 

What should I ask for? I have now idea where to start. Just ask him to build the best open gun, based on what works best in his experience? Never owned a 1911/2011 open gun, I'm  a virgin 😀.

 

Wouldn't hurt to call and talk to John, he won't give you any BS and he has really good ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gun is in the shop right now so I got to borrow a friend's 2019 DVC open.  Some thoughts:

 

-Boy is it tight!   It wasn't easy pulling the slide back, and even the mag release felt tight.  The gun definitely needed some more break-in

-The gun was very flat and came back on target quickly, even with my normal load which isn't developed for it

-The trigger is pretty good.  A little heavier than mine, but still crisp

-It points very well!  The gun is balanced quite well and that makes transitions nice and easy

-The mag release is weird.  I ended up botching a few reloads because the other end of the mag release button kept hitting my strong hand, which is something that never happened with my other 2011.  I'm not really sure what the fix for this is.

-My friend installed a *thumb rest [generic]* which I wasn't used to, but greatly appreciated.

 

While it would've been nice to get more time with the gun, I thought it was pretty solid!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

My gun is in the shop right now so I got to borrow a friend's 2019 DVC open.  Some thoughts:

 

-Boy is it tight!   It wasn't easy pulling the slide back, and even the mag release felt tight.  The gun definitely needed some more break-in

-The gun was very flat and came back on target quickly, even with my normal load which isn't developed for it

-The trigger is pretty good.  A little heavier than mine, but still crisp

-It points very well!  The gun is balanced quite well and that makes transitions nice and easy

-The mag release is weird.  I ended up botching a few reloads because the other end of the mag release button kept hitting my strong hand, which is something that never happened with my other 2011.  I'm not really sure what the fix for this is.

-My friend installed a *thumb rest [generic]* which I wasn't used to, but greatly appreciated.

 

While it would've been nice to get more time with the gun, I thought it was pretty solid!  

Is this one of the newest ones with slide racker milled in to the slide?  Did it have the new grip?  If so, how did it feel to you?

Edited by BadShot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BadShot said:

Is this one of the newest ones with slide racker milled in to the slide?  Did it have the new grip?  If so, how did it feel to you?

Upon further review, I think it may not have been the 2019 version.  The racker was screwed into the slide, and I think the grip was the extreme shooters grip.  The grip felt great to me though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one on the way as well. STI told me they are being made now and close to stock, with some being shipped out. The gun shop I ordered from estimated a few weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 5:39 PM, Moto_wrench said:

No sorry I meant 6K for a more custom pistol, vs a more entry level CK or STI

 

I am not opposed to a CK, just seemed like STI was the better value since it came with mags.  Maybe in my mind there is more brand recognition with STI?  

 

Has anyone had experience with both STI and CK?

I just bought a CK an I have had it about two months so far. Works great, had a few issues they were all mag related. Buy MBX mags and you will have no problems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BadShot said:

I've got a new one coming soon was just curious....

 

4 hours ago, Vitamink said:

I have one on the way as well. STI told me they are being made now and close to stock, with some being shipped out. The gun shop I ordered from estimated a few weeks. 

 

Nice! Post a review or atleast drop a note in here once you receive them. 

Im still on the fence...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot with a lot of people shooting CK's and they all run really well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a DVC Open and a CK open gun. The reason I got the CK is because the DVC was back in Texas getting repaired too frequently and for too long. Yeah, sure, STI pays the shipping both ways. That’s great for as often as you have to sent it back to them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...