Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
1911vm

12.5 in barrel mid upper

trying to find a 12.5 in barrel mid-gas upper. but cant find one. does any one make one?  Thanks

Never seen an upper but barrels are out there. You planning on running suppressed full time?

No . I  have been shooting a mid 14.5 and 16 for a while and really like the impulse was hoping to get the same in a 12.5. 

You'll have about 2.7" of dwell time. A rifle gas 16" has about 3.2" and thats closer to the edge than most people will go as it is.

Triarc Track 2.0 12.5in middy.. fantastic barrel.

KAK Industry makes a 12.5” middy, it’s in their value line $103

I am not made of money but value line scares me. especially when i do not see a non value one. 

1 hour ago, dkamps said:

Triarc Track 2.0 12.5in middy.. fantastic barrel.

how would you compare that to this one they are about the same price          NOVESKE 12.5" CRUSADER MID-LENGTH 5.56MM STAINLESS BARREL                      

NOVESKE 12.5" CRUSADER MID-LENGTH 5.56MM STAINLESS BARREL       

I have this barrel on my SBR and it flat runs. It also loves Hornady 75gr BTHP Match. I was a non-believer but a friend convinced me to give it a try and it works.

How is it with run of the mill stuff. Wolf Gold  or American eagle . As far as realibility and accuracy.  

Edited by 1911vm

16 hours ago, 1911vm said:

how would you compare that to this one they are about the same price          NOVESKE 12.5" CRUSADER MID-LENGTH 5.56MM STAINLESS BARREL                      

Noveske makes great barrels. I haven't used that specific one so I am not sure.

The 11.5 and 14.5 triarc barrels I ran all fired a few FPS faster, and were ~ half moa shooters, with correct sized gas ports. I built one of the 12.5 middys for a friend and it was also a great shooter, runs nicely suppressed and unsupressed with no reported issues for about a year now.

I really do love their barrels, top notch. Their proprietary rifling seems to not be snake oil, about 25fps faster out of my 11.5 than I had chrono'd before with 77gr IMI vs a ballistic advantage.

21 minutes ago, dkamps said:

Noveske makes great barrels. I haven't used that specific one so I am not sure.

The 11.5 and 14.5 triarc barrels I ran all fired a few FPS faster, and were ~ half moa shooters, with correct sized gas ports. I built one of the 12.5 middys for a friend and it was also a great shooter, runs nicely suppressed and unsupressed with no reported issues for about a year now.

I really do love their barrels, top notch. Their proprietary rifling seems to not be snake oil, about 25fps faster out of my 11.5 than I had chrono'd before with 77gr IMI vs a ballistic advantage.

I would like to echo dkamps. My 12.5" has been chronoed faster than I would have expected; almost 14.5" velocities. I have shot PMC Bronze, M855 and a mix mash of other stuff with no issues. I have not shot any of the AE though.

I thought that the rifling thing was marketing but it seems it really is faster.

thank you. Not sure if its worth it but I am now actually considering ordering a complete upper from them .

I have a SMOS 12.5 Mid barrel. It runs 55 Fiocchis fine both suppressed and unsuppressed. I have a SF MB on it. Obnoxious if you're next to it but very flat shooting. Ive taken it out to 400 yds with no problems. 

I was skeptical at first as well. 

Good luck.

Just spoke to a BE member  that cut down a BCM 16in mid to a 12.5 and now it's his favorite upper. Shoots flat and eats anything. He sent me a video and it definitely is flat shooter. 

I have an older JP VTAC 16in upper.  this may sound stupid but I am think about curing  my 16in  barrel down to 12.5 and roll the dice on that. If I have lost my mind please feel free to say so. My thinking.
1. I almost never shot it
2. its a very good quality barrel
3. it comes with an adjustable gas block already.

4. do not need to buy anything else to build its a complete upper 

I say cut it down, load it up and burn it to the ground!! Good luck and good shooting!

thanks I assume my local smith can handle the project

I have a White Oak Armament that I ran suppressed for a while, now it is not suppressed. Very accurate and works great.

18 minutes ago, troupe said:

I have a White Oak Armament that I ran suppressed for a while, now it is not suppressed. Very accurate and works great.

Is it mid length or carbine gas system.  

Great.  Now I  am really looking forward to cutting my JP down.  

It's done. Ended up cutting to 13. Because of the hand guard that I chose  testing this weekend.  

4 hours ago, 1911vm said:

It's done. Ended up cutting to 13. Because of the hand guard that I chose  testing this weekend.  

This is not how you post a completed project. We need pictures! :)

It's not totally complete until I go to the range lol. But for now.

20190521_235143.jpg