Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making this gun flatter

war_material

Hello All. Trying out this video link but here are the specs of my setup.

Sti trubor

10lb recoil spring with wc buffer

125gr zero JHP 7.2 autocomp

Stock slide no slide racker

I was wondering if it would be worth getting a slide lightening job when I get a zig racker fitted. Would I have a flatter gun with the same load? Anybody have experience in this situation? Thanks for any info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gun looks pretty flat to me. At least it recovers really quickly. Have you tried different loads? To me WAC was snappy. I tried AA#7 3N38 & HS-6. 3N38 & HS-6 where both great but side by side I couldn't tell a difference. HS-6 was cheaper. So that worked for me. AA7 & HS-6 seem to be pretty awesome for me. I know you wanted to stick with the same load. Perhaps try the same powder and 115g bullets? Back to the same load and the original question.

Side lighting may help a bit. Perhaps have them add a few poppet holes? 3 holes up top or a V4 or so would help and you could use the same load. ( may have to go up a few 10ths?) Please keep us updated!

Edit to add: I had a trubor set up a d really liked it. I had 3 poppet holes and it really seemed to help.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Gun looks pretty flat to me. At least it recovers really quickly. Have you tried different loads? To me WAC was snappy. I tried AA#7 3N38 & HS-6. 3N38 & HS-6 where both great but side by side I couldn't tell a difference. HS-6 was cheaper. So that worked for me. AA7 & HS-6 seem to be pretty awesome for me. I know you wanted to stick with the same load. Perhaps try the same powder and 115g bullets? Back to the same load and the original question.
Side lighting may help a bit. Perhaps have them add a few poppet holes? 3 holes up top or a V4 or so would help and you could use the same load. ( may have to go up a few 10ths?) Please keep us updated!

Edit to add: I had a trubor set up a d really liked it. I had 3 poppet holes and it really seemed to help.

Thanks for the info! I am open to trying new loads too and I also have blue gullets that I want to try out. They are 124gr and I was going to drop the charge a bit with the autocomp but I do have some hs6 on hand too. What would you suggest to load for?

Hello: Don't put any holes in the barrel. Try a 8 or 9lb ISMI recoil spring with a 17lb ISMI main spring. I would also try some 115's to see if you like them more. I would try HS-6 as well since you have it. I would shoot it for at least 10,000 rounds before you do anything to see what you like and what you would like to see different. Thanks, Eric

I’m having that done to my trubor as we speak. Slide racker, 2 holes in the barrel and one in the comp, and a little bit of slight lightening. Not a ton though. I know how it shoots stock, so we will see how it shoots when I get it back with all the work done. I’m expecting it to be flatter. Everyone says the holes noticeably  tame the gun. Not sure if holes makes  it flatter, maybe a little but that’s mostly due to the comp. but the holes taming the gun should change the feel of how it shoots. I’ll report back when I get my trubor back.,

I forgot what load I was using in that gun. I sold it a few years ago. Switched to tanfoglio. That being said HS-6 is really popular, I'm sure you will be able to find plenty of data here on the forum.

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I know that Brazos refuses to lighten the slide of a TruBor

Why is that? I weighed mine stock and it’s actually pretty light already. I think it was just over 11ozs. I think people like to lighten slides to 10.5. I wonder how much difference there is between 11 and 10.5. 

That looks pretty good to me.

What velocity / PF are you getting from your current load ?

Getting the slide lightened does make a small difference, but
I know that Brazos refuses to lighten the slide of a TruBor.

Thanks! I am getting 172. I will definitely take the advice here and experiment with hs6. I didn’t even think about it till now lol. I just feel like there may be a way to get a little less dot movement.

This is my first open gun so I don’t have much experience with how to make it flat but I guess yeah start out with load before I start doing the expensive stuff like slide cutting and making holes.

I guess when I get there I will appreciate it more after shooting a bunch of rounds and getting to know the system better.

I’m having that done to my trubor as we speak. Slide racker, 2 holes in the barrel and one in the comp, and a little bit of slight lightening. Not a ton though. I know how it shoots stock, so we will see how it shoots when I get it back with all the work done. I’m expecting it to be flatter. Everyone says the holes noticeably  tame the gun. Not sure if holes makes  it flatter, maybe a little but that’s mostly due to the comp. but the holes taming the gun should change the feel of how it shoots. I’ll report back when I get my trubor back.,

I am very interested to hear how it goes for you! Good luck, must be exciting getting all that work done.

Hello: Don't put any holes in the barrel. Try a 8 or 9lb ISMI recoil spring with a 17lb ISMI main spring. I would also try some 115's to see if you like them more. I would try HS-6 as well since you have it. I would shoot it for at least 10,000 rounds before you do anything to see what you like and what you would like to see different. Thanks, Eric

Thanks I will definitively do the springs. I really don’t know what poundage it is since I bought it used I was just told 10. It would be a good idea to change both and know what they are. I have 1.2k 125gr right now I will experiment with hs6 and see if I get less dot movement.

1 hour ago, warmaterial said:

I am very interested to hear how it goes for you! Good luck, must be exciting getting all that work done.

Ya i couldn’t be more excited to get it back. It was originally a 38 super, and I shot it like that for a while but the brass is so expensive. So i shot 9mm out of the 38 and it actually worked really well. But I wanted to  re barrel it and that’s what he’s doing also. So he’s doing a whole bunch of stuff. He fit a new 9mm trubor barrel with a custom cut comptuned it for 9mm, drilled the wholes in the barrel,  did the slide cuts, installed a racker, new hammer and sear, new safety, fitted a new grip and a SV trigger. And the last step is refinishing the whole gun. Then I sold my C-more slide ride and am buying either a DPP or a Romeo; with a new mount to really bring the gun up to modern times. It’s gonna be like a brand new gun. I can’t wait to get it back. 

53 minutes ago, warmaterial said:

Thanks I will definitively do the springs. I really don’t know what poundage it is since I bought it used I was just told 10. It would be a good idea to change both and know what they are. I have 1.2k 125gr right now I will experiment with hs6 and see if I get less dot movement.

My builder says to use a 9lb. I use hs-6. I think it’s a good powder. But I’ve also never tried anything else. Will see how it shoots wirh the new custom gun. I don’t think I’ll be changing though. 

9 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

@Aircooled6racer Eric, why do you say not to put any holes in the barrel? I’m curious as my gun has two holes and my second matching gun does not have any yet. My main gun is amazing as is and I need to decide if I’m going to make the back up to match in that way. 

Update: tried out 8.5gr HS6 with 125gr blue bullets and It felt better for me. As for flatter, i wouldn’t say it is any flatter but i like the way the gun felt compared to the autocomp. I will change recoil spring and main springs and see if it makes it flatter but I am very happy with this load at least. Moving forward with spring experimentation now. Thanks so much for all the advice fellas! I will keep gripping the gun harder too!

3 hours ago, Absocold said:

My first question would be if you have the old style Trubor with the two hole compensator or the new three hole comp. If you have the old style, there's your first upgrade.

Since the comp and barrel are once piece, to change the comp you’d have to fit a whole new barrel. Which is expensive. I’d definitely try a combo of load, springs, poppel holes first. 

Here’s how my trubor came out. Really looks like a totally different gun. I haven’t shot it yet, hopefully either Wednesday or Thursday. I’ll let you know how it shoots with the holes in the barrel and the lighter slide. 

5C53EC05-BAC0-4E67-A129-546BC55222EC.jpeg

BDEADF32-A047-4FA4-9449-54C2758DF146.jpeg

8 hours ago, warmaterial said:

Update: tried out 8.5gr HS6 with 125gr blue bullets and It felt better for me. As for flatter, i wouldn’t say it is any flatter but i like the way the gun felt compared to the autocomp. I will change recoil spring and main springs and see if it makes it flatter but I am very happy with this load at least. Moving forward with spring experimentation now. Thanks so much for all the advice fellas! I will keep gripping the gun harder too!

That’s a ton of powder for a 125g blue bullet. I know cause I shoot 125g blues and hs-6. Did you chrono that load? In my old 5.5inch Glock 7.3 made 170pf. In my 5 inch trubor it was around 155. I just loaded up 7.7, and I except that to get me close to 170. I would think 8.5 would be way way up their. 

Mark, before you spend money changing the gun, change your load, you can always change back.

Open guns need gas to shoot flat, more powder, more gas, lighter bullet, more powder, slower powder, more gas.

You're loading 7gr of WAC under a 125, but you could be loading 10+ gr of AA7 or Shooters World Major under a 115.

HS6 under a 125 is a move in the right direction, but there are miles to go 😊

Edited by kneelingatlas

2 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Here’s how my trubor came out. Really looks like a totally different gun. I haven’t shot it yet, hopefully either Wednesday or Thursday. I’ll let you know how it shoots with the holes in the barrel and the lighter slide. 

5C53EC05-BAC0-4E67-A129-546BC55222EC.jpeg

BDEADF32-A047-4FA4-9449-54C2758DF146.jpeg

Holy smokes that came out great!  That trubor looks amazing!  Can't wait to hear how it shoots!  

I'll second the go to a slower powder comment, even if you decide to stay with a 125gr bullet.  I've been shooting Silhouette for the last two seasons and recently changed to Major Pistol.  It was a night and day difference through my two poppel hole/4-chamber, 5-port comp gun.  At the same PF it was noticeably flatter and softer.

I just finished building my next Open gun last night.  I have a Trubore barrel with the same custom comp cuts as Jfitx427.  The only difference is I did not tri-top mine.  Eric suggested I try the comp without poppels first to see how I liked it.  That's what I plan to do.  I have some 155 loads using MP powder and some Everglades 124gr major ammo.  If it works out I'll leave it alone.  If not, I'll add a V2 set in the comp itself.

2 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

That’s a ton of powder for a 125g blue bullet. I know cause I shoot 125g blues and hs-6. Did you chrono that load? In my old 5.5inch Glock 7.3 made 170pf. In my 5 inch trubor it was around 155. I just loaded up 7.7, and I except that to get me close to 170. I would think 8.5 would be way way up their. 

I do need to Chrono it that's for sure.  I didn't bring my chrono since I was at the indoor range I didn't know if the light was sufficient but I will next go-around.  

43 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Mark, before you spend money changing the gun, change your load, you can always change back.

Open guns need gas to shoot flat, more powder, more gas, lighter bullet, more powder, slower powder, more gas.

You're loading 7gr of WAC under a 125, but you could be loading 10+ gr of AA7 or Shooters World Major under a 115.

HS6 under a 125 is a move in the right direction, but there are miles to go 😊

Makes sense!  I am definitely feeling the change when I went to the slower gas.  I will definitely continue testing.  :)  When I get through with these 125's I will go to 115's and do AA7.  With that much powder, would a small pistol primer suffice?  I know with this8.5gr HS6 the small pistol primer works pretty well.

6 hours ago, Absocold said:

My first question would be if you have the old style Trubor with the two hole compensator or the new three hole comp. If you have the old style, there's your first upgrade.

I have the 3 holes on top and 2 slots on the sides at the very front.