Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you shoot?

I go to practice once a week (we have a regularly scheduled practice on Tuesday nights in Baton Rouge if anyone is close) and usually have a local match on the weekend that I consider practice. Trying to mix dry fire into that as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shot my first steel match in August. Later discovered uspsa. Never looked back. Still Unclassified and just switched to CO so will be a U for a while. Seem to be about low B class. 

Live fire practice 3 weekends a month~300rnds ea. 1 match a month. Dryfire 5x week mainly speed stuff and driving down par times. Live fire is 95% drills. Pretty much zero mini stages, theres too much going on for me to notice simple but costly mistakes.

• 3 months later...

I try to live fire 2x a week. usually 2-300 rounds per session. I am involved with a  group of guys that love to shoot steel

and we have our own targets that we are allowed to set up at our range , so we end up shooting steel challenge stages a lot more often than I like.

only 2 of us in the group shoot USPSA , so  doing Bill drills or double tap drills is like pulling teeth with those that don't shoot USPSA.

Shooting steel stages is always fun , but it's a completely different  game.

So this season I'm focusing on  doing a lot more dry firing drills and seeing how that helps , finding time to go out 

and focus on USPSA specific drills has been tough this year so far :(

I try to go to the range every Fri during lunch, but usually comes out to every other Fri. If I skip the live fire, I'll atleast dry fire that week. While I love shooting with my friends, I find I train a lot better either by myself or with one other guy who has same training mindset

While I worked it was one practice a week of 250 to 300 rounds, and dry fire two or three times in the same period. Matches (USPSA) two to three times a month.

I'm retired now. Practice is three or four times a week, 200 top 300 rounds, very little dry fire. Matches two to four times a month.

i hold an A card, have for years. With more practice I have gotten more consistent in matches and classifier scores (though ironically my percentages have dropped because previously I'd have rare good scores mixed in with a zillion low scores that would get thrown out, leaving the anomalous highs in my best six for long times, now most of my scores are within the A range).

I'm not so sure that a lot less dry fire is a good thing...

I'm committed to six matches per month through mid-October.  After that I might change which matches I shoot but that frequency should remain sustainable.  This doesn't count live fire practice, which for me varies quite a bit as far as frequency.  Dry fire is a daily thing.